Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller Removal

YOU ARE EXACTLY CORRECT. WD40 CAN CAUSE THE IMPELLER TO SWELL. PETROLEUM BASE PRODUCTS WILL CAUSE RUBBER TO EXPAND OVER TIME.

ONLY SPRAY I RECOMMEND IS SILICONE.

Well I guess I won't use WD-40 again.

Do the impellor pullers work on a Response LXi with the ski pylon right in front of the water pump? I saw on the DIM site that 5" of clearance is needed infront of the water pump. I measured my boat and I don't have that much.

Do the impellor pullers work on a Response LXi with the ski pylon right in front of the water pump? I saw on the DIM site that 5" of clearance is needed infront of the water pump. I measured my boat and I don't have that much.

You shouldn't need one on a DD. The V-Drive guys need them because once they achieve the yoga position required to even reach the pump they have no strength or leverage left to use against the impeller. :lol:

Just pull the cover, squirt some lube in, bump the motor, and pull it out with two pair of needle nose pliers. Thumbup.gif

+1 on the silicone spray. Silicone spray is super handy to have around. I use it for anything that I am worried that petro based lubes will attack. There are many uses for it....interior squeeks being one of them. :)

Well I guess I won't use WD-40 again.

As far as coverage goes, I take a generous squirt of the boot lube into the palm of my hand and then rub it all over the entire impeller. It covers all the rubber.

I use a couple of pait can openers that paint stors give you with a purchase. Works great and cheep. However I am working on a DD not a V. On yours being able to use the paintcan openers vs the puller will depend on how much room you have to operate, leverage and accessability. I would give it a try with the paint can openers first them order the puller if it is still stuck. Some of the other hints on how to get the impeller unstuck are helpfull as well. I did mine with an oil change so everything was warm and free from just having been run.

REW

I tried the paint can openers this year and they didn't work for me. I just added a squirt of boot lube, cranked the engine one revolution and the impellor dropped right out.

You shouldn't need one on a DD. The V-Drive guys need them because once they achieve the yoga position required to even reach the pump they have no strength or leverage left to use against the impeller. :lol:

Just pull the cover, squirt some lube in, bump the motor, and pull it out with two pair of needle nose pliers. Thumbup.gif

Here we go again. Would that be four needle nose pliers?

As far as coverage goes, I take a generous squirt of the boot lube into the palm of my hand and then rub it all over the entire impeller. It covers all the rubber.

That could be taken way out of context. But, hey, we’re all children here.

The V-Drive guys need them because once they achieve the yoga position required to even reach the pump they have no strength or leverage left to use against the impeller. :lol:

After you get into position you must not be holding your tongue just right for the strength and leverage. Tongue.gifROFL.gif

Just pull the cover, squirt some lube in You knew this was a loaded statement Yes.gif