Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller Removal

How difficult should it be to pull the impeller out of the housing on 07 LSV Monsoon 340? I'm trying to do it for the 1st time and I can't get the thing to budge.

How difficult should it be to pull the impeller out of the housing on 07 LSV Monsoon 340? I'm trying to do it for the 1st time and I can't get the thing to budge.

it is pretty easy with one of these, but someone will chime in with other ideas that also work. I bought the impeller puller a few years ago after trying all the tricks but on my '01 vlx the impeller housing was in hard place to access and this was really the only way for me.

it is pretty easy with one of these, but someone will chime in with other ideas that also work. I bought the impeller puller a few years ago after trying all the tricks but on my '01 vlx the impeller housing was in hard place to access and this was really the only way for me.

Plus1.gif

There are other ways to do it, but none are as simple and straightforward as using an impeller puller.

The last time I changed my impeller, once I had removed the rear cover, I meant to squirt in some

boot lube, except I realized that I had left the lube at the condo. I meant to disconnect the

safety lanyard and bump the engine over a few turns, except I realized that I'd left the boat keys in

the car (about a 200 yard round trip). So, I just skipped those steps and went directly to using the

impeller puller. The impeller backed right out effortlessly.

So, now I know I don't even need the first steps.

Plus1.gif

There are other ways to do it, but none are as simple and straightforward as using an impeller puller.

The last time I changed my impeller, once I had removed the rear cover, I meant to squirt in some

boot lube, except I realized that I had left the lube at the condo. I meant to disconnect the

safety lanyard and bump the engine over a few turns, except I realized that I'd left the boat keys in

the car (about a 200 yard round trip). So, I just skipped those steps and went directly to using the

impeller puller. The impeller backed right out effortlessly.

So, now I know I don't even need the first steps.

But the other steps as noted above can be helpful if it is really stuck even with the puller. I too have and use an impeller puller.

My first time to do this was this fall and i purchased and used an impeller puller. Since you are laying on your side, stretched around the back of the engine, i am not sure how easy it would be to get leverage with some of the other methods described in these forums.

If you have all the tools within reach, this should only take 10 minutes to do.

I purchased my puller from Bakes and it is a high quality puller that i expect will last several years.

I use a couple of pait can openers that paint stors give you with a purchase. Works great and cheep. However I am working on a DD not a V. On yours being able to use the paintcan openers vs the puller will depend on how much room you have to operate, leverage and accessability. I would give it a try with the paint can openers first them order the puller if it is still stuck. Some of the other hints on how to get the impeller unstuck are helpfull as well. I did mine with an oil change so everything was warm and free from just having been run.

REW

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I went ahead and ordered a puller right after I made the post. I figure it will be money well spent. I tried the paint can opener trick, I bumped the engine over, and tried 2 needle nose pliers and that thing wouldn't budge. Didn't think to try boot lube. I'll just wait till the puller gets here to finish my winterization.

How difficult is it going to be to get the new impeller in?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I went ahead and ordered a puller right after I made the post. I figure it will be money well spent. I tried the paint can opener trick, I bumped the engine over, and tried 2 needle nose pliers and that thing wouldn't budge. Didn't think to try boot lube. I'll just wait till the puller gets here to finish my winterization.

How difficult is it going to be to get the new impeller in?

Thanks

well, to re-install the impeller you will need an impeller pusher, you did order one at the same time, right...j/k...it goes back in pretty easily, put some of the glycerin gel that comes with the new one and it pushes in by hand. don't worry if the vanes are not facing the right direction, they will as soon as you turn over the engine.

Don't bother installing the new one until you're ready to take her out. You don't want the fins folded over all winter. Just lube up the rubber with some boot lube and put some anti-seize on the inside of the splined hub with a Q-tip then, rotate it as you're pushing it in.

Looks like you got your answer, but for other "newbies" like me....the $50 was well spent. I took the forum suggestions and 1) bought the impeller tool and 2) bought some spare brass nuts (for when you drop them in the bilge). Removed the impeller in only a few minutes. Reinstalled just as quickly. I was tempted to make a DIY took, but after using the correct tool and saving hours of frustration, I would highly recommend getting one.

well, to re-install the impeller you will need an impeller pusher, you did order one at the same time, right...j/k...it goes back in pretty easily, put some of the glycerin gel that comes with the new one and it pushes in by hand. don't worry if the vanes are not facing the right direction, they will as soon as you turn over the engine.

Oh man, you are cruel..funny, but cruel. :lol:

well, to re-install the impeller you will need an impeller pusher, you did order one at the same time, right

Actually, I ordered one from a company in Nigeria.

I have to send the money via my long lost uncle in Zimbabwe (he was part of the royalty that was overthrown), and then it will be delivered.

Actually, I ordered one from a company in Nigeria.

I have to send the money via my long lost uncle in Zimbabwe (he was part of the royalty that was overthrown), and then it will be delivered.

sure glad i have a direct drive and its right there in the front.

Plus1.gifYep me too.

You're glad you don't have to order from Nigeria...sounds like racial profiling...what do you have against Nigerians?

Looks like you got your answer, but for other "newbies" like me....the $50 was well spent. I took the forum suggestions and 1) bought the impeller tool and 2) bought some spare brass nuts (for when you drop them in the bilge). Removed the impeller in only a few minutes. Reinstalled just as quickly. I was tempted to make a DIY took, but after using the correct tool and saving hours of frustration, I would highly recommend getting one.

OK, who's going to make a joke out of this statement?

OK, who's going to make a joke out of this statement?

Nothing funny there, his old ones probably froze off...does krich own a monkey?

Don't bother installing the new one until you're ready to take her out. You don't want the fins folded over all winter. Just lube up the rubber with some boot lube and put some anti-seize on the inside of the splined hub with a Q-tip then, rotate it as you're pushing it in.

WD-40 works well too. The spray will give a little better coverage.

I have no evidence to support this but, I don't think it's a good idea to put WD-40 on the impeller. I don't know exactly what WD-40 is made out of but, it seems to be pretty close to a petroleum product.

I have no evidence to support this but, I don't think it's a good idea to put WD-40 on the impeller. I don't know exactly what WD-40 is made out of but, it seems to be pretty close to a petroleum product.

YOU ARE EXACTLY CORRECT. WD40 CAN CAUSE THE IMPELLER TO SWELL. PETROLEUM BASE PRODUCTS WILL CAUSE RUBBER TO EXPAND OVER TIME.

ONLY SPRAY I RECOMMEND IS SILICONE.