Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
shawndoggy

Best way to remove painted on Reg Numbers?

shawndoggy

As topic states, I bought a boat with handpainted registration numbers on the hull. It's in that 80s pinstriping style and would have looked bitchin' on my aunt's 280xz turbo back in the day. Well now the boat has left CA and come home to Nevada, and I need to get my Nevada reg numbers on there but I can't just peel these numbers up.

Wetsand?

Have seen recommendations to use Easy Off oven cleaner, but I'm a bit nervous about that...?

Acetone?

Other ideas?

Jimmypooh

As topic states, I bought a boat with handpainted registration numbers on the hull. It's in that 80s pinstriping style and would have looked bitchin' on my aunt's 280xz turbo back in the day. Well now the boat has left CA and come home to Nevada, and I need to get my Nevada reg numbers on there but I can't just peel these numbers up.

Wetsand?

Have seen recommendations to use Easy Off oven cleaner, but I'm a bit nervous about that...?

Acetone?

Other ideas?

Just curious what they look like. Can you post a picture?

shawndoggy

Just curious what they look like. Can you post a picture?

Unfortunately it's the one part of the boat I don't have a picture of.

cyoda44

Can you just cover them up with the new letters or have a one piece number made that will cover them.

Michigan boarder

I'd try laquer thinner, that should take off any paint. No way I'd take Easy Off to my boat, sounds scary. You will likely have to hit it with polish and wax afterwards.

CRASH

Easy off works awesome spray the numbers get a wet sponge wipe them off =. Doesnt harm gel coat either :unsure:

skurfer

Acetone and lots of rubbing. I've done this several time with success. Doesn't hurt the boat. Follow with polish and wax and you'll never know they were there!

corey

I've used a rotary buffer and turbo cut with pretty good results.

bilbao

I removed mine this spring with a new razor blade, took about 5 minutes a side and would never know they were there

thethrillofspeed

I used polishing compound and an orbital buffer to remove the painted on numbers from my old mine when I moved to Nevada.

Faceplant409

I'd probably try lacquer thinner on a q-tip and then a new razorblade to get the bulk off, then?

Good luck! P

skurfer

I would warn against using a razor blade, especially on a curved section of the hull. It's very easy to dig into the gelcoat.

dhcomp

Have you tried just scrubbing them off with a doobie sponge or something? Mine came off the first season from dock bumpers (promo boat), and had to be repeated.

Should be super easy. And i second using a razor blade, just be careful. Thats how i remove decals and the like.....