Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Filter location for 2004 Malibu Wakesetter DD

ryan04wakesetter

Hey Guys,

I purchased a new in-line fuel filter earlier this year but am having trouble locating where the old one is. I know it is somewhere near the fuel line but do not see it in the engine compartment. Can anyone point me in the right direction. This is a direct drive wakesetter as well.

Thanks in advance.

If it's like my Response Lxi, it is under the floor panel behind the engine way back by the rudder. Remove that panel and see if it's under there.

...or if its like my 03 Response, it is even more of a PITA, being located at the transom behind the rear panel in the rear trunk

That is where mine is also. About 6 screws to remove and the panel comes right off. Same panel that has those little pockets for storing your bag of pot...errr I mean your gloves and knick knacks. :lol:

fuel_filter1.jpg

Edited by areamike
  • 7 months later...

Hi All,

I have a 2004 Response LXi with the Hammerhead 380 Engine and I want to change the fuel filter(s). I've found one filter under the floor panel behind the engine, and I'm going to check tonight for the other filter shown above. My question is, what do I need to do prior to removing these filters? Is the system under pressure? Will it spew fuel everywhere when I remove the filters, or do I just need to put a cup or something under the connections to catch any fuel in the lines?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, that's your only filter. On 2004 models they moved it to behind the engine from the transom area. There is also a screen on the fuel pump inlet side, but being prudent with your filter should never cause any problems with that screen. I just loosen the gas cap to relieve any possible pressure in the fuel line. The filter is actually on the suction side of the fuel pump.

...or if its like my 03 Response, it is even more of a PITA, being located at the transom behind the rear panel in the rear trunk

Did you relocate it? I did, because I was only going to take those 14 hidden screws out once. Hopefully the blower never goes on me.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...