Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommended boat wax?

ryan04wakesetter

Hey Guys,

I am planning on waxing my boat soon and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good one stage type of wax. Are the spray on waxes any good? I know they are much easier to put on but seems like they may not last as long.

Thanks

I've always just used Babe's Boat Bright after every outing. Spray it on and wipe it off as you dry the boat and it makes my hull looks as good as new.

I use Collinites wax. The Liquid Insulator Wax No 845 and the Fiberglass Boat Wax No 925 are the same thing. This stuff rocks. I've tried polishes, turtle wax. Meguiars, even some two part crap that the Navy uses that is supposed to chemically bond to the surface, and the Collinites wax just beats tham all hands down as far as how long it lasts/beads and how it protects the surface. My wifes cousin uses it on her pontoon boat since it is stored in the water all summer. She loves how much easier it makes the fall clean up. My uncle switched to it on his Sunsetter after seeing how well my 20 year old boat sheets water after a summer of use.

Give it a try - you will love it. It's easy to apply and remove. It is a true wax so it won't only give youa quick feel good shine like the polishes will, but will shine and leave a long lasting protective coating of wax that will protect your boat.

I use the Fiberglass Boat Cleaner No 920 to remove any surface contaminants before applying the wax. Waxing is like painting. It sticks better to a clean well prepped surface. If you clean the boat surface well before waxing it any wax job will last longer.

Here's Collinites site if you are interested. My local hardware store carries their products, but I know you can get it online through Amazon and other distributors.

http://www.collinitemarine.com/

If your gelcoat is in good shape and does not need buffing I suggest you try "ICE Liquid Polish". It does not have a cleaner or polish component to it at all. It is used as a protectant and brings out the "POP" in your finish.

It will take you less than 30 minutes to do your boat. You just take an old t-shirt square and squirt some ICE onto it. This is assuming you have already washed or toweled your surface clean. You just apply ICE and give it about 5 minutes to partially dry. You then take 2 microfibre towels (one each hand) and go around your boat to wipe off the excess. It really "POPS" your already good finish and makes the water bead, too.

I am a car guy very active in my Porsche club. My cars are scrutinized at several events a year. This stuff covers up the barely detectable surface spider web type imperfections in your paint. I use it all year long on the Porsche, Benz, Duramax, and Spyder boat. I used to use the expensive waxes but frankly the advantage of being able to "ICE" my car every other week or two gives me more instant gratification.

Once a year you can "Clay Bar" your car and polish it but the rest of the year just keep the protective ICE finish on it.