Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Tabs

gargaro

Surf Tabs, Watch The Video Than Please Vote  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Put This On Your Next Boat If It Was Offered By Malibu?

• Surf Tabs Seem Like A No Brainer
    • If Malibu Tweaked The Design And Rebranded It
    • I Dont Surf Enough To Justify It
    • Surfing Belongs In The Ocean

I love my bu and I think this would be another reason to love it. It just makes it that more versatile a boat. I would like them to add the ability to use them as trim tabs for rougher water also.

It would be interesting to see how effective the surf tabs are. It does not appear that they would do anything to decrease the need for ballast, since they appear to only be able to create an upward force on one side of the boat, and not able to create any downforce on the other. I use the wedge for surfing all the time since it does create downforce. A trimtab/wedge on each side that would allow you to put downforce on one side and lift the other seems like it might make more sense. I am all for anything that decreases the need for ballast or makes the surf wave better.

Ironic how some Mastercraft sales/customers belittled the wedge as a "gimmick" or substitute for a proper hull, and now they are touting surf tabs. Whistling.gif

It would be interesting to see how effective the surf tabs are. It does not appear that they would do anything to decrease the need for ballast, since they appear to only be able to create an upward force on one side of the boat, and not able to create any downforce on the other. I use the wedge for surfing all the time since it does create downforce. A trimtab/wedge on each side that would allow you to put downforce on one side and lift the other seems like it might make more sense. I am all for anything that decreases the need for ballast or makes the surf wave better.

Ironic how some Mastercraft sales/customers belittled the wedge as a "gimmick" or substitute for a proper hull, and now they are touting surf tabs. Whistling.gif

Plus1.gif

That was the first thing that I thought about too!

The dual wedge idea seems like a great one. Maybe two smaller wedges (wedgies?) that would automatically trim the boat when wakeboarding to keep the wake clean and create the downforce on one side for the surf sessions. Rockon.gif

The dual wedge idea seems like a great one. Maybe two smaller wedges (wedgies?) that would automatically trim the boat when wakeboarding to keep the wake clean and create the downforce on one side for the surf sessions. Rockon.gif

I have also thought about the dual wedge idea, seems like something that Malibu would want to pursue. Another idea is a forward wedge that deploys straight down to suck the bow in deeper w/o as much ballast.

I like the tab concept but didn't think the surf wake was all that clean on the Mastercraft. My BU with stock ballast, wedge and two people does pretty good; passenger side still needs tweaking.

post-8035-1257363604_thumb.jpg Rockon.gif

Edited by Kingfish

I have also thought about the dual wedge idea, seems like something that Malibu would want to pursue. Another idea is a forward wedge that deploys straight down to suck the bow in deeper w/o as much ballast.

I can just see that on a boat and someone gassing it to get the bow over a roller and submarining their boat ROFL.gif

So where's the options for....

"Yeah, that will list the boat, but there is no replacement for ballast or down force (wedge pull) to make a clean surf wave." Rockon.gif

If you list the boat hard to either side isnt that putting down force against the water? I would think that the boat would handle more freely if it isnt draging a metal foil through the water? JMO