Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECU no data over 25 second

I have a problem with a 08 VTX that has a 320 Hp engine, the boat is running but the gauges are not functioning like the temp,oil... The screen reads "ECU no data for over 25 second". has any one faced this problem before? I thought it was a problem with the MMDC box under the dash board, but I changed it with another one but still same problem.

I have a problem with a 08 VTX that has a 320 Hp engine, the boat is running but the gauges are not functioning like the temp,oil... The screen reads "ECU no data for over 25 second". has any one faced this problem before? I thought it was a problem with the MMDC box under the dash board, but I changed it with another one but still same problem.

I had a similar problem this spring with mine, I was about to take it to the dealer when I noticed a wire harness had come unplugged. Just a suggestion, your problem could be completely different. I'll see if I have a pic of where it was....Look around this area for a loose or disconnected harness.

post-8316-1257164959_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem this spring with mine, I was about to take it to the dealer when I noticed a wire harness had come unplugged. Just a suggestion, your problem could be completely different. I'll see if I have a pic of where it was....Look around this area for a loose or disconnected harness.

yer hi my name is mark i have a malibu xt-i wakesettler. when you turn the ignition on every thing seems ok but when the deepth comes up about 15sec its starts flashing (no ECU data in 25sec cheked all fuses and all ok) thanks.mark

yer hi my name is mark i have a malibu xt-i wakesettler. when you turn the ignition on every thing seems ok but when the deepth comes up about 15sec its starts flashing (no ECU data in 25sec cheked all fuses and all ok) thanks.mark

If you checked that connection I illustrated and all your grounds are secure (battery and ground block under dash) then I have no idea.

Edited by Ndawg12

There is a known communication issue with the ECU and the 320 Monsoon engine. An 08 should still be under warranty, so take it to the dealer.

My 09 had a similar issue... so after 3 trips to the dealer and 1 back to Malibu it was finally fixed. The had to replace the ECU and MMDC box to make everything communicate properly.

My 06 VLX did it several times back 2 years ago. Every thing ran OK but all dash gauges were dead. Always popped up while running down the lake. Kept going until I got to my destination before I shut it off in case it wouldn't restart. After shutting off and restarting, all was back to normal again. I found the main wire bundle connector under the dash would sometimes work loose. The connector latch would not click together. I used a small nylon wire zip tie to hold this connection tight together and have never seen the warning on the screen again. I don't know if that was the origin of the problem or not but it has not re occurred this year at all. 120 hours of use this year.

My 06 VLX did it several times back 2 years ago. Every thing ran OK but all dash gauges were dead. Always popped up while running down the lake. Kept going until I got to my destination before I shut it off in case it wouldn't restart. After shutting off and restarting, all was back to normal again. I found the main wire bundle connector under the dash would sometimes work loose. The connector latch would not click together. I used a small nylon wire zip tie to hold this connection tight together and have never seen the warning on the screen again. I don't know if that was the origin of the problem or not but it has not re occurred this year at all. 120 hours of use this year.

Oops, must be Microsoft got their hands on the Malibu electronics. It is a steep downward path we are on.

No ECU basically means your dash computer cannot communicate to your engine computer. I would start at the dash and work your way back, check plugs and make sure all the pins are straight, clipped in all the way and tight. Loose power and grounds can cause this issue too because it will not power up one of the computers leaving it in "no ecu" limbo. Battery terminals, main breaker, breaker panel, ground bus bar, main ground on engine block, main power at starter are all places to look for a loose wire issue.

-Paul