Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 Malibu 247 Asking Price

jeffrey262

This ought to be fun, lets do some hypothetical math here.

100 hours in 3 years.

Bought in 2009 for 65,000

Sells in 2012 for 42,000

Depreciation cost alone = 23,000 / 100 = $230/hr

I hope you'll be having alot of fun on what ever boat you buy!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffrey262

• Chia

• Bobby Light

• Ndawg12

I don't understand why everyone is trying to convince this guy to buy a used boat. He obviously can afford to buy new, knows he wants new and isn't going to consider used. If I was in his position, I'd do the same thing! He's probably looking at the resale value, if he buys new or lets say used with under 100 hours, he's going to put less than 100 hours on it himself in the next 3 years, then sell it for a great price because it's still very low hours.

Just because he hardly uses the boat doesn't mean he'll be able to sell it for a great price. He'd have to find the right buyer for that. I'd rather have something has average hours for it's age and well maintained. Use it or lose it!

2006 247 w/ 50 hrs = 56k

same boat w/ 250 hrs = 53k

That's how I woud see it, just my opinion.

Buy new, get the 8.1, and as many options as you can (except do not get the captains seat on the passenger side).

If you like being on the water, you will find yourself putting on way more hours on a tournament boat than a 37' Formula. The wakeboard boat gives you so many more options on how to have fun on the water. You could find yourself going from 30 hours a year to 130 hours a year easily. These boats are just that much fun.

If you are not that handy or don't have the time, have the dealer install additional fat sacs in the rear lockers, minimum 750# Fly High brand sacs, installed, with auto fill and drain. That would be something to get the dealer to throw in to seal the deal. You might not realize this now, but you need these.

Buy new, get the 8.1, and as many options as you can (except do not get the captains seat on the passenger side).

If you like being on the water, you will find yourself putting on way more hours on a tournament boat than a 37' Formula. The wakeboard boat gives you so many more options on how to have fun on the water. You could find yourself going from 30 hours a year to 130 hours a year easily. These boats are just that much fun.

If you are not that handy or don't have the time, have the dealer install additional fat sacs in the rear lockers, minimum 750# Fly High brand sacs, installed, with auto fill and drain. That would be something to get the dealer to throw in to seal the deal. You might not realize this now, but you need these.

Good point there. When was the last time you went tubing behind your Formula? Crazy.gif

Let him buy what he wants. I can't fathom how any of us justify the cost of our boats as investments. They are fun items only. They all cost a bunch of money per hour of use. Even those who bought used spent quite a bit on a Malibu because you knew what you wanted and it was worth the price.

He has money, yes we're all jealous that he can have two awesome boats. That's really what we all want! We all want an awesome lakehouse with a stable full of cool boats, airplanes, cars, etc. Let him get the boat he really wants at a price he can live with. He is probably successful because he has been smart with money and can spend it on the things that are important to him. People will spend their money on the things that are important to them.

As for the bleeding the dealer on price, let's review a fundamental economic principle that represents capitalism: A fair price is what a seller and a buyer mutually agree on. Yes, we may feel bad for our dealer friends on the site because it is not a great boat-selling time right now, but if they need to make a cheap sale now to move boats, that's the way the cookie crumbles. These boats are pretty high priced to begin with and this is a market correction. We're probably also a little jealous he's getting killer boats for prices better than we got.

If the Malibu is what you want, determine a distance you're willing to travel to pick up a boat. Use the internet to find all the Malibu dealers in that range and check either their web site or call them and see if they got anything that matches your requirements. There's alot of boats out there on dealers lots that you will be able to negotiate on.

Edited by scooby
Let him buy what he wants. I can't fathom how any of us justify the cost of our boats as investments. They are fun items only. They all cost a bunch of money per hour of use. Even those who bought used spent quite a bit on a Malibu because you knew what you wanted and it was worth the price.

He has money, yes we're all jealous that he can have two awesome boats. That's really what we all want! We all want an awesome lakehouse with a stable full of cool boats, airplanes, cars, etc. Let him get the boat he really wants at a price he can live with. He is probably successful because he has been smart with money and can spend it on the things that are important to him. People will spend their money on the things that are important to them.

As for the bleeding the dealer on price, let's review a fundamental economic principle that represents capitalism: A fair price is what a seller and a buyer mutually agree on. Yes, we may feel bad for our dealer friends on the site because it is not a great boat-selling time right now, but if they need to make a cheap sale now to move boats, that's the way the cookie crumbles. These boats are pretty high priced to begin with and this is a market correction. We're probably also a little jealous he's getting killer boats for prices better than we got.

I somewhat agree. But unless he is LOADED and can pay cash, he is gonna have a hefty monthly boat payment, unless he finances it for 30 years, even so, the payment will be quite substantial.

Totally agree and that was my point.

I somewhat agree. But unless he is LOADED and can pay cash, he is gonna have a hefty monthly boat payment, unless he finances it for 30 years, even so, the payment will be quite substantial.

Good point, it's very american to be maxed out on payments. I guess I saw him as the type that drops cash, but we all can appear however we want on the internet!

On a side note, just to warn you all, don't mess with me becasue I have huge pecs. I'm also a ninja, yes, a very rich ninja with huge pecs and umm, lots of guns!

Edited by Molarbu

I don't give a damn what he buys and how much he pays for it. I just wouldn't want to see somebody buy a boat right now, barely use it, then be totally shocked that it didn't retain it's value as well as they thought it would. Buy it and use it!!

Good point, it's very american to be maxed out on payments. I guess I saw him as the type that drops cash, but we all can appear however we want on the internet!

On a side note, just to warn you all, don't mess with me becasue I have huge pecs. I'm also a ninja, yes, a very rich ninja with huge pecs and umm, lots of guns!

Ha ha, I bet you do.

My friends always ask me how I ended up with my wife. My answer is, " well I'm not rich, not extremely good looking, not really that smart....so you figure it out Whistling.gif:)

I bet you got nuthin' on Chuck Norris though.

Ha ha, I bet you do.

My friends always ask me how I ended up with my wife. My answer is, " well I'm not rich, not extremely good looking, not really that smart....so you figure it out Whistling.gif:)

I don't get it, does that mean she isn't either? :lol:

This ought to be fun, lets do some hypothetical math here.

100 hours in 3 years.

Bought in 2009 for 65,000

Sells in 2012 for 42,000

Depreciation cost alone = 23,000 / 100 = $230/hr

I hope you'll be having alot of fun on what ever boat you buy!!

I am not sure the math is quite that simple. We have a 2007 Sunscape 23lsv that we purchased in May 2008. It now has 36 hours on it. But we go out on it quite a bit in the summer. It just happens we spend a lot of time swimming or lounging around. So if you counted all those hours too, we would probably be somewhere around 200. These boats canbe used for something other than just the water sports. Just something to consider.

oh man, you drive around with the bumpers out....maybe you had best get the mastercraft. Tease2.gif

You call them bumpers, I thought they were fenders. Maybe on a your Bayliner they call them bumpers. I'm just teasing too!

oh man, you drive around with the bumpers out....maybe you had best get the mastercraft. Tease2.gif

You call them bumpers, I thought they were fenders. Maybe on a your Bayliner they call them bumpers. I'm just teasing too!

Yeah...it is a pretty boat. Plenty of room to entertain. The only issue I have, It is hard to find a lift on Lake Norman. Everyone wants to out on it. In Chicago, I'd burn a tank over the weekend -- 236 gallons. The sailboaters were always giving me slack. They would say, "hey Jeff, are you going to burn more gas today?". My response was always, " yeah... as much as possible. And by the way, is it going to take you 9 hrs to cross Lake Michigan to the other side. I'll you you on the way back after I have lunch." It only takes me 2 1/2 hrs to cross Lake Michigan.

I think I am moving closer to the 247 as my preferred boat.

Would you guys post pics of your boat? I'd like to steal some great ideas. I was thinking about having the boat wrapped? Have anyone seen a 247 wrapped?

--jeff

OK guys....I am not here to brag about my purchasing habits. I came to this site to get great advice from veteran wakeboarders. I respect your opinions. I purchase my toys not for investments because the return is alway -50%. I purchase them to have fun. I have always advised my friends and family on wealth management. An old dear friend always told me, and I follow his principle today. #1) Pay yourself first and let everyone wait for their share, #2) Pay your bills, and #3) give the rest away. You would be amazed on your accumulated wealth over the years. Ultimately, you'll have to hire a wealth management company to manage your money. Personally, I came from nothing. I went to college, earned my post degree, busted my a** for 20 years, sold my high tech investments before the tech crash in the 90's. Sold all my real estate 4 years ago before the housing boom busted. And now, I'm 45 & retired.

So to answer the final question, I will have no payments because I will pay cash. My Formula is paid off as well. I will not tell you about all my other toys because it seems that some people are getting angry over wealth.

I appreciate all your opinions and will continue to ask questions. So please chim in and spill your thoughts.

--jeff

OK guys....I am not here to brag about my purchasing habits. I came to this site to get great advice from veteran wakeboarders. I respect your opinions. I purchase my toys not for investments because the return is alway -50%. I purchase them to have fun. I have always advised my friends and family on wealth management. An old dear friend always told me, and I follow his principle today. #1) Pay yourself first and let everyone wait for their share, #2) Pay your bills, and #3) give the rest away. You would be amazed on your accumulated wealth over the years. Ultimately, you'll have to hire a wealth management company to manage your money. Personally, I came from nothing. I went to college, earned my post degree, busted my a** for 20 years, sold my high tech investments before the tech crash in the 90's. Sold all my real estate 4 years ago before the housing boom busted. And now, I'm 45 & retired.

So to answer the final question, I will have no payments because I will pay cash. My Formula is paid off as well. I will not tell you about all my other toys because it seems that some people are getting angry over wealth.

I appreciate all your opinions and will continue to ask questions. So please chim in and spill your thoughts.

--jeff

I have been following this topic the whole time and just realized you're on Lake Norman. Is that the 247 at Powersports Center in Mooresville sitting in the corner of the showroom??!! My wife and I sat in that thing, it's a bad boy, we were just dreaming though :)

edit-I just looked at the pic again, I'm 99% sure that's the boat, Darryl should be able to hook you up, and Jeremy in service is awesome to work with!!

Edited by Ndawg12

Jeffrey, as usual a lot of opinions here. In my opinion, and many others here the 247 is the nicest looking boat, for sure the one you are looking at is sweet. Also, all you have to do is test drive all 3 of those and you will be buying the Malibu anyhow, so just go for it. If you or your son get into waterskiing (as opposed to WB/WS/surfing) then just go pick up a Response FXi and add it to the stable.

bumpdity bump bump.

All you need to do is drive it and that will seal the deal. As for wraps, search wrap on the site, there are a few people that have done them, but I don't think any were on a 247.