Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any ideas for storing a boat outside

I just finished my first modified winterization. Being that I live in southern california I chose to change all the fluids and drain the water from the block and called it good. I currently have no choice but to store it outside. I removed all articles out of the boat, put a bucket of damp rid in, removed all seat cushions, put a few dryer sheets in, and taped over the exhaust. I then put my boat cover on and draped a heav duty tarp over the tower and covered that tarp with a standard tarp. Cinched the tarped down and covered the tires. I'm still a little uneasy about leaving it outside, mostly worried about water and mildew. Does anybody have any ideas, tricks, or things I may have overlooked to keep my boat dry and ready to go this spring. Thanks for all the help with oil change, trans change, and winterization. It all went super smooth for my first time.

I just finished my first modified winterization. Being that I live in southern california I chose to change all the fluids and drain the water from the block and called it good. I currently have no choice but to store it outside. I removed all articles out of the boat, put a bucket of damp rid in, removed all seat cushions, put a few dryer sheets in, and taped over the exhaust. I then put my boat cover on and draped a heav duty tarp over the tower and covered that tarp with a standard tarp. Cinched the tarped down and covered the tires. I'm still a little uneasy about leaving it outside, mostly worried about water and mildew. Does anybody have any ideas, tricks, or things I may have overlooked to keep my boat dry and ready to go this spring. Thanks for all the help with oil change, trans change, and winterization. It all went super smooth for my first time.

Do you have access to power where it will be stored?

I stored my boat outside last winter and did similiar things to you. I put a huge tarp over the whole boat after it was winterized at the dealer. I emptied the boat of all gear and all removable cushions. Then I sucked any water I could get out of the bilge and dried it. Then I took chrome polish and polished all the chrome then reapplied another coat of polish to the chrome but left it on. I took out the sides of the rear compartments by the engine to allow air movement and propped open the ski locker hatch. Then I put a heater in and kept the temperature at a constant 10 degrees celcius(45-50 F). When I went into the boat in the spring it was dry as a bone, had no smell at all and no mold or mildew. And the chrome was was in excellent shape. And I live in the damp south coast of BC(very similiar to Seattle).

This year I got a tarp shelter for it( similiar to the costco ones but a lot heavier duty). Should make things a lot easier and it will keep the sun off it year round.

Tarps are cheap and will get the job done, but be careful as I have had them remove paint from a toy hauler when the santa ana winds were blowin. Last thing you need is to show up to check on boat and see that the tarps came loose and were whippin all over the place. I bought my boat in august and one of the reasons I went with the one I bought was for the cover the previous owner had made. His friend owned a sail making shop and made this custom cover. I dont think you will find a better cover for outdoor storage, period. I knew going in, that the boat would sit outside. Previous owner said no water will get in, we've only had rain a couple days but so far so good not a drop of water in boat. I have the "tow" cover on then this one over it. With the pitch you get from the tower it's pretty hard for water to get in. It has a rip cord at the bottom that you pull tight, no straps, rope or anything.

boat_cover.jpg

Tarps are cheap and will get the job done, but be careful as I have had them remove paint from a toy hauler when the santa ana winds were blowin. Last thing you need is to show up to check on boat and see that the tarps came loose and were whippin all over the place. I bought my boat in august and one of the reasons I went with the one I bought was for the cover the previous owner had made. His friend owned a sail making shop and made this custom cover. I dont think you will find a better cover for outdoor storage, period. I knew going in, that the boat would sit outside. Previous owner said no water will get in, we've only had rain a couple days but so far so good not a drop of water in boat. I have the "tow" cover on then this one over it. With the pitch you get from the tower it's pretty hard for water to get in. It has a rip cord at the bottom that you pull tight, no straps, rope or anything.

boat_cover.jpg

Wow! That is awesome. I want one. Do you know where he got it made? The tarps I used will work, but they are going to get torn up so fast from the sun and wind, and they are a pita to put on and take off. If you have any info that would be great. Thanks.

boat_cover.jpg

Wow! That is awesome. I want one. Do you know where he got it made? The tarps I used will work, but they are going to get torn up so fast from the sun and wind, and they are a pita to put on and take off. If you have any info that would be great. Thanks.

I asked the previous owner about getting in touch with the guy who made it so I have the contact details should it need any repairs, but he never got back to me. I would take this picture to a sail shop and see what they can do. Its a water repelant sunbrella type material, with extra material and stiching where it needs it, like trailer tounge area and over the tower, vent flap at the top too. It also has a bungy style rip cord throughout the bottom to pull it tight. If I hear back from him, I'll send you a PM

Truckers Tarps are heavy rubberized material. The flatbed trucking companies have them for lumber loads, glass loads, some steel loads and so on. These heavy duty rubberized tarps are fitted with built in D Rings and flaps. These tarps wear out at the corners and so forth and must be replaced.

You could contact a local flatbed trucking company and buy a used truck tarp. They do not blow in the wind and tend to stay put.

One problem is they are very heavy and you will need a strong buddy to help you lift these tarps and deploy them over your boat.

Once you put it on for the winter you may want to leave it in place because of the weight.

Lumber tarps are the biggest and will be what works best.