Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Driver seat slider rails rusted out

2001 Response LX

I just finished winterizing my boat, got it all clean ......

I was about to put it away, when I decided that I wanted to check why my seat would not go as far forward as it used to. I found out why, the sliders rusted out. Cry.gif

No problem I say, just order a couple of new ones from Malibu and put them in, easy enough. They come without the mounting hardware and the mounting hardware I have is part of what rusted out (I think it is called a belleville washer.)

Two questions(for those of you who have had this problem)

1) Where did you find the cone shaped washer(belleville) I have tried the normal places and Fastenal and Grainger.

2) If not did find them did you just use a fender washer of approximately the same size and how did that work out?

Thanks

McMaster-Carr has belleville washers

mcmaster website

Looks like you'll have some extras when you're done (not that they are too expensive)...you could likely find someone here that may need some of the leftovers

Good Luck.

Dave

Edited by davemac

Thanks

In this case, Malibu was a little help. They do not even stock these anymore, but directed me to the supplier they used in 01. I will call on monday. They also suggested the technique I used.

I salvaged two of the Belleville washers that were not rusted and then just used a stainless nut and sandwiched it with two large fender washers and that seemed to do the trick. I was told that these washers were more for spacing than anything, so we will see next season. I always like getting this stuff out of the way in the fall, so the boat is ready to go in the spring.

I will also try McMaster-Carr. Most of the stock ones I have found do not have the right depth.

I can always replace if I can find the right ones. The bear was reaching underneath blind to secure the slides to the fiberglass.

Thanks

In this case, Malibu was a little help. They do not even stock these anymore, but directed me to the supplier they used in 01. I will call on Monday. They also suggested the technique I used.

I salvaged two of the Belleville washers that were not rusted and then just used a stainless nut and sandwiched it with two large fender washers and that seemed to do the trick. I was told that these washers were more for spacing than anything, so we will see next season. I always like getting this stuff out of the way in the fall, so the boat is ready to go in the spring.

I will also try McMaster-Carr. Most of the stock ones I have found do not have the right depth.

I can always replace if I can find the right ones. The bear was reaching underneath blind to secure the slides to the fiberglass.

Unless I bought Malibu's last seat slides, they still stock them because I just re-stocked last week.

We talking about the same thing? http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=837

I've picked up those goofy washers at Tacoma Screw (local hardware shop) before since your right they don't come with mounting hardware. Make sure to not over tighten those bolts, it will bend the track and make it operate really stiff.

They a Zinc plated so as long as grease the tracks, you shouldn't have that problem again.

-Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Over the years I have replaced the steel tracks on a couple boats. They are uesed becuase they are strong and cheap. Got tired of the rusty mess so I purchased a slides from Garelick http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=74002. I run in salt a couple times a year and the cancer starts immediately on those steel slides. The Garelick is a great upgrade. You'll find their products on most "salt water" boats.

Unless I bought Malibu's last seat slides, they still stock them because I just re-stocked last week.

We talking about the same thing? http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=837

I've picked up those goofy washers at Tacoma Screw (local hardware shop) before since your right they don't come with mounting hardware. Make sure to not over tighten those bolts, it will bend the track and make it operate really stiff.

They a Zinc plated so as long as grease the tracks, you shouldn't have that problem again.

-Paul

They were the same with out the washers that yours show. Still haven't found the goofy washers, but I have all winter