Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is the wedge is a marketing gimmic?

Woodsprinter

Tell him you love the boat......and dicker until you get your price and then say......"if he'll put the wedge on it you'll buy it"

If he won't, subtract 2 grand and start the process again.

Yeah, It is what I plan to do...

I hope you are also planning on buying the one listed for $250 in the classifieds!

Just saw it! Hope it is floating wedge..

If it's the stock one off of an '06, then it's not. The floater didn't come out until '07.

To complete floating wedge. Do I need to drill 4 holes and get back plate along with bracket and wedge, right?

Yes, and the bracket for the floating wedge is specific to the floater. You can't use an older bracket with the newer floater & vice versa.

If it's the stock one off of an '06, then it's not. The floater didn't come out until '07.

To complete floating wedge. Do I need to drill 4 holes and get back plate along with bracket and wedge, right?

Yes, and the bracket for the floating wedge is specific to the floater. You can't use an older bracket with the newer floater & vice versa.

Thanks. I take that back plate and bolts existing on 06 or older will fit to floating wedge/bracket?

Yes, the back plate off of an old wedge system that adds support from the inside of the hull will work fine with the floating wedge. When we did the swap on our '06, the external stuff was what needed to be changed (foil & bracket), while the bolts & back plate worked fine. They're not fancy-shmancy stainless steel, but who's going to see that part anyway? :) It was literally plug n play.

Woodsprinter - Did you buy this boat? If not, yet, I could go take a look at it for you, if you want. I hadn't viewed the listing before just now; it is right in my back yard! Let me know.

Woodsprinter - Did you buy this boat? If not, yet, I could go take a look at it for you, if you want. I hadn't viewed the listing before just now; it is right in my back yard! Let me know.

Not yet, It would be nice if you can take a look at it and let me know what you think..

Thanks

I agree it is a marketing gimmick.

Does it make the wake bigger? Yes

Does it change the shape of the wake? Yes

Is it equivelant to the 1200 lbs they market it as? No way. I have a Power Wedge on my boat and I can tell you adding a couple hundred lbs of lead to the back gets you a wake very similar to what the wedge does and when you get an extra 1,000 lbs + of ballast or lead in the boat over factory ballast, the wedge has very little effect on the wake other than making the boat handle like a dog.... Just my opinion, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boat without the wedge....

I have a 09 VTX Diamond hull. My power wedge was down for a while so we added 400 lbs to each side on top of the factory setup (1250lbs). While it improved the wake it still wasnt the same and did not have the same lip. Everyone on the boat was disappointed with the wake and we were very happy when the wedge was fixed. However I am a bid advocate of the power wedge as it does allow the boat to get up on plain. I dont think you can add this feature to your boat but you may want to test drive a Malibu with a power wedge as it may change your mind on the purchase.

You can bet he would be singing a different tune if his did have a wedge. something along the lines of "greatest thing since sliced bread"

Bingo! If it didn't sell Malibu would have discontinued it. Everyone I ride w/ prefers it, for those that don't just push a button...there everyone is happy.

Is the wedge a marketing gimmic? The guy who wants to sell his 06 VLX that is full loaded EXCEPT the wedge. See his response below:

"This was our second Malibu. The first was the Wake 23 hull which was originally designed for skiing. It needed a wedge. But the gas consumption really hurt draging that thing around. This Wake 25 hull was designed specifically for wakeboarders. The wedge is a marketing gimmic. None of the pros or anyone who rides a lot uses them because they break, and they suck gas. Weight and hull are the most important attributes to wake size and shape. Why don't Mastercraft or Nautique even offer such nonsence."

I don't think I agree with him because the wedge is a must for wakesurfing?

I am interested in his boat. It meets my all specs except the wedge. I believe that I can add floating wedge and bracket (drill?). It will run about $800-$1,000, right.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=818006

Sir, "to the seller" the power wedge is no marketing gimic. i cans show without a doubt the wedge makes a huge difference in both wave shape and height for wake surfing and wake shape and height for wake boarding. Not to mention Bu threw a few milli at the r & d. no gimics here.

I have owned 5 Malibus all with the wedge. Starting with the manual ending up with the power. I currently have an 08 VLX. The wedge is a nice feature and does assist in making the wake better, if you don't want to mess with adding weight. My son has advanced to be one of the best riders where we ride. We also have several other very advanced riders and one who competes at a pro level, that ride with us on occasion. This last season we never dropped the wedge. I plumbed in an extra 400 lbs on each side, along with the factors ballast. This is the preferred setup with all my riders. So, for the only reason of resale, I would get another wedge. Other than that I would not.

Add this to the list of classic topics we all can't agree on:

teak or fiberglass

titan or illusion

fog through cylinders or intake

wedge, useful or not

How many did I miss? Biggrin.gif

A couple come to mind.

Health Care reform

Obama

Sorry couldn't resist. :Doh:

Oh come on Chevy_anim.gif vs Furd or American vs. import lol

[hijack]

Although, Made in America does not necessarily mean it was "made in America". Just look at Harley Davidson motorcycles. 80% of the parts that go into a Harley are fabricated in other countries and then shipped here. The motorcycles are simply "put together" in America. IIRC, Harley got sued some years back for advertising they were Made in America. You can't post that claim on your product unless more than 50% of the final product is actually made in the USA. I think Harley now says something like Proudly assembled in the USA by Union workers...or similar.

I worked at a Subaru/Isuzu, now just known as Subaru seat supplier, and often had to go to the Auto plant here in Lafayette Indiana to check defects etc. Almost all the entire parts that go into a "Japanese made" car, the Subaru Outback, are fabricated right here in the USA. And the entire vehicle is built from the ground up in one single plant where they literally drive about 400-600 vehicles right off the assembly line each day. It's a pretty impressive operation to see.

This may be a dated article but worth a read.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/01/auto.main/index.html

Single or dual axle trailer

size of tow vehicle

star gazer or zero off

titan or illusion

just a few more Biggrin.gif

Not to mention:

To tube or not to tube

Whether or not to have kids

If you are responsible for your wake

Acid wash or no acid

How to remove prissy girls from LuvtheBu's boat