Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cheapest Malibu in the state !

DONTW8

I love the part of the ad saying....."ask for Vince"

...Foggetaboutit...Im just wondering who didnt pay their gambling debt and Vinnie here took the boat.

Crash and 85 Barefoot are both correct.

There was anI/O version in the Home Depot parking lot here in Merced about three years ago. The boat looked like it just came out of the plant.

This info is from iboats.com, which has some manuals and engine info.

The earliest Malibu model they list is the 1984 Skier, inboard.

Both 1985 models are outboards, but then the outboards go away until the FLightcraft in 1991.

1984 19 Malibu Skier

The 1984, 19 Malibu Skier is a 19.5 foot inboard boat. The weight of the boat is 2400 lbs. which does not include passengers, aftermarket boating accessories, or fuel.

1985 16.6 Sprint

The 1985, 16.6 Sprint is a 16.5 foot outboard boat. The weight of the boat is 950 lbs. which does not include passengers, aftermarket boating accessories, or fuel. The max rated horsepower of this boat, as listed by the manufacturer, (according to records we have) is 115 hp .

1985 18.6 Sebring

The 1985, 18.6 Sebring is a 18.5 foot outboard boat. The weight of the boat is 1050 lbs. which does not include passengers, aftermarket boating accessories, or fuel. The max rated horsepower of this boat, as listed by the manufacturer, (according to records we have) is 150 hp .

1986 19.6 Skier

This inboard ski and wakeboard has a fiberglass hull, is 19.5 feet long and 86 inches wide at the widest point. The boat weighs approximately 2300 pounds with an empty fuel tank and without any gear or passengers.

1986 20.6 Sunsetter

This inboard ski and wakeboard is 20.17 feet long and weighs 2800 (pounds dry). This weight does not account for passengers, fuel, or gear. The beam of this craft is 90 inches.

1991 Flightcraft 20XL

This outboard ski and wakeboard is 20 feet long and weighs 1850 (pounds dry). This weight does not account for passengers, fuel, or gear. The beam of this craft is 80 inches.

1991 Malibu Flightcraft 18XLT

This inboard ski and wakeboard is 18 feet long and weighs 2150 (pounds dry). This weight does not account for passengers, fuel, or gear. The beam of this craft is 90 inches.

That's definitely an old school 'bu. They also built an i/o (as has been mentioned) and a jet as well. And yes, they do vaguely resemble Eliminators but that's all 'bu.

Nautique built a bass boat back in the 80's too, check it out in a Popular Mechanics head to head with Ranger, Skeeter, Stratos, and Cajun, page 79-81.

I seem to remember from old "Waterski" magazines that there were several small manufacturers that would simply buy hulls from other boat companies and create their own products from them, since the hul manufacture would require such a significant investment in tooling and process capability.

That might explain why there were so many different variants year to year - maybe a little dependent on who they could work a deal with.

I thnk there were a lot of small, regional companies working this way.

Thanks for the early years info Soon2BV.

A year ago I posted that I remembered visiting the Malibu factory in the very early years in the 80's. I was interested in their outboard lineup and they were just introducing the Malibu Skier direct drive. The plant was very small then and Bob Alkema gave me the 50 cent tour. I did not buy a boat from him then but I wish I had although it would have been the 18' foot outboard. In the 80's my 3 car garage was not deep enough to fit the inboard with platform so I was limited for length.

A year ago I lost my confidence that it was outboards they made instead of an I/O because some of the more knowledgeable Malibu followers did not remember the outboard one year ago. Thanks for confirming that I have only partially lost my memory by listing those outboards.

I certainly did not foresee Malibu growing the way they have but neither did Bob Alkema at the time.

• 5 years later...

I just a completed a full resto on a 1984 malibu 19. Although it looks similiar to the last bubbledeck eliminator jets, there is no comparison as it has a much flatter wake than my mastercraft bowrider. The best part of this boat, I am finding, is that showing up at your favorite boutique ski lake with an unrestored 30 year old direct drive will get you snubbed by a certain group that shall remain unmentioned. This boat brings nothing but praise from those same individuals. Wakeboarding? Forgetaboutit!!! There is no wake! @ 1800 lbs & virtually 4" of draft, and over 200 hp from the new chevy motor, you will silently blow the doors off every direct drive ski boat you encounter. The ski pylon is best not used, as the 2nd option is a center mounted eye directly over the prop. The ski pylon causes a loss of tracking on a course due to it being forward of the prop/rudder. These were nice & extremely well finished boats, nothing like a 70's jet boat, and would have done well had the direct drives not had many obvious advantages. I forgot to mention that this boat is not a jet, it's the inboard/outboard model. I have never seen another of these before, and I came aross this old thread last year while searching for restoration parts. Thought I would throw in my 2 cents as I seem to own 1.

Edited by bob1

Will do. I tried to post some pics today, unfortunately I'm a member but not a paid member. Have some photos of turning hard into a non existant wake etc. Also some close ups of the bu written on the side since everyone thinks it's a Hallett or an Eliminator!