Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Recommendation For An LS1 Engine??

I am getting ready to winterize my '02 Response LX with an LS1 engine and I am wondering which oil I should use. The previous owner ran Mobile 1 synthetic in it but I am not sure what weight. The cap says 5W20 if I remember but reading some other posts on here, some have suggested 15W40. The motor has about 225 hours on it now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary

I am getting ready to winterize my '02 Response LX with an LS1 engine and I am wondering which oil I should use. The previous owner ran Mobile 1 synthetic in it but I am not sure what weight. The cap says 5W20 if I remember but reading some other posts on here, some have suggested 15W40. The motor has about 225 hours on it now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary

I would recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic. That's what we run in out boat/truck/cars.

I would say the top 3 synthetic oils IMO are...

Amsoil

Mobil 1

Castrol

I plan on running Mobile 1 Synthetic but I am trying to determine what weight. I just looked in the Indmar owner's manual and it states to use Pennzoil Marine 15W40 or a synthetic 15W40 oil that meets API SJ/CG4 specs. The cap says 5W20 or 5W30, I will have to check. Any opinions??

Thanks

Gary

Gary, I have an 03 LS/1. I wanted to run Mobil One also and contacted Indmar and they said 15W-50 was fine.

I normally get it a Meijers and they no longer carry that weight so off to Wally World, one was out, another didn't have it. So a week later I went back to the original Wally World and luckily they had some ... bought 12 qts so I should be all set for next year. Jim

Jim

I just talked to my local auto parts store that stocks Mobile 1 oils. They have 15W50 synthetic in stock but it does not have the API SJ/CG4 specs. They do carry the ESSO 0W30 synthetic diesel oil that does have the recommended specs. Which oil should I go with? Any comments?

Thanks

Gary

Edited by Hydrogasm
I found it in Mobile one, 5W-40 It said on the lable recommended for 15w-40 applications. This is what I Used this time..

I decided to go with Mobile One 15W50 because that is what Indmar recommended and it was available right away from my supplier. I want to winterize it this week-end. Thanks for all your input, Gary.

I have a question to the Crew? Has anyone had a oil related failure or excessive ware from poor lubrication ?

In all my years I can't say I have seen any problems with oil breakdown in any of my normal toys or vehicles.

I have seen a very small difference in some of our racing motors but none going as far as a failure.

Is it the peace of mind, advertising or are we getting benefits with synthetic oil. May be fuel economy? Dontknow.gif

I have a question to the Crew? Has anyone had a oil related failure or excessive ware from poor lubrication ?

In all my years I can't say I have seen any problems with oil breakdown in any of my normal toys or vehicles.

I have seen a very small difference in some of our racing motors but none going as far as a failure.

Is it the peace of mind, advertising or are we getting benefits with synthetic oil. May be fuel economy? Dontknow.gif

Been thinking the same thing ... oil is so much better than it used to be when I was a motorhead in the 70s.

• 2 weeks later...

Just Got back from the SEMA show in Vegas....I saw the Mobil one booth and asked lots of Questions about Synthetic and conventional oil, They had quite a few examples of conventional oil wear on parts and Synthetic, and there was plenty of proof to support the Synthetic, Also I learned That the W in like 15W -40 means winter so he said that if the manufature recommends a 15W weight it is ok to go lower like a 5w weight or 0W it is the second # that you want to stay with as recomended by the manufacturer So if Indmar recommends a 15W-40 You can use a 5W -40 or 0W-40 Hope that was helpfull!!