Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Issues Again

IamN2Speed

I need arms like Hulk to steer my 02 23LSV. This is my 2nd Bu, and my 1st had problems with the steering too. I ended up replacing both the cables, and the helm to fix, but probably if I would have replaced the helm first, I may have not had to replace my cables.

Is there some sort of maintenance that I should be doing on my steering as part of my regular summer prep? How often are you guys having to replace your steering cables? Is there a way for me to lube them? Something just isn't right. I've only driven my Bu's, and these are the only direct/V drive boats I've driven, so I kind of just chocked it up that rudder steered boats are a little harder to steer than I/O. But a couple weeks ago, I went out with a buddy and his MB Sport Tomcat, and he could steer that thing with a finger. So something REALLY isn't right with mine.

Help! I want effortless steering...

-Keith

Can't speak to maintenance on the cable (I don't do anything), but have you had excess water in your bilge?

My steering got tight after 8 years and I had to replace the cable. It was right after I had a lot of water sitting in the bilge one weekend. Turned out one of the kids left the shower valve open and I forgot to check there first :Doh: . I've read in a couple of different places that water can seep into the cable if water stands in the bilge.

Edited by Addictedto6

I've replaced my steering cable twice.. I think water in the bildge may not help, but I'm not sure what causes them to go bad.. the swap is pretty easy though

I always leave my steering all the way left or right for the winter so if the cable 'hard spots' from being left in one position for a long time the hard spot is at the end instead of in the middle where you operate most of the time. But a new steering cable always feels goooood.

I need arms like Hulk to steer my 02 23LSV. This is my 2nd Bu, and my 1st had problems with the steering too. I ended up replacing both the cables, and the helm to fix, but probably if I would have replaced the helm first, I may have not had to replace my cables.

Is there some sort of maintenance that I should be doing on my steering as part of my regular summer prep? How often are you guys having to replace your steering cables? Is there a way for me to lube them? Something just isn't right. I've only driven my Bu's, and these are the only direct/V drive boats I've driven, so I kind of just chocked it up that rudder steered boats are a little harder to steer than I/O. But a couple weeks ago, I went out with a buddy and his MB Sport Tomcat, and he could steer that thing with a finger. So something REALLY isn't right with mine.

Help! I want effortless steering...

-Keith

Are you blocking your motorbox after each use?

Most the inboards I know end up replacing steering cables after 5 to 7 years. If you get water in the bilge it will take its toll on the cables.

If your rudder and cable are good you should have one finger steering.

I tryed to get a cable freed up after it was going bad. Never could get it any better. Tryed forcing oil and grease WD40 but if I remember you are not spouse to put oils or lubes in it I believe it is a silicone sleeve no lube.

2005 VRIDE and 1995 Echelon both with original steering cables and still one finger steering. I grease rudder and exposed cable and turn steering wheel to the side that pushes the cable back into the sleeve so as little cable is exposed as possible. Also, keep bilge dry as possible. No standing water.

The secret is to keep the cable end (at the rudder) from ever going under water. If it goes under, a replacement is in your near future. Yes.gif

I once took "a little" water into the Sportster (hence the nickname "The Swampster" Biggrin.gif) during a bat turn gone wrong...that next spring...steering cable replacement. Keeping a little waterproof grease on the exposed end of the cable can help deter water from getting in but if you put 3-4" of water in your boat... ( Whistling.gif )

Edited by NorCaliBu
  • 2 weeks later...

My mechanic told me to keep the rear of the boat a little higher on my lift because pooling water at the rear of the boat will shorten the life of the steering. (The rear plug is never pulled while on the lift).