Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's wrong with auto bilge pump

vette-ski

01 SS VLX, so the bilge pump is not all that old. I seldom keep my boat in the water, but I did this last week. Showed up one day to find water in the boat about an inch or two above the carpet in the rear storage lockers. The bilge pump was running, but nothing was coming. It looks like I have the kind with an internal automatic float. I figure the pump had to be running for quite some time but not pumping water. The weird part is when I turned the bilge switch on the dash to "on", water started pumping out. Anybody seen this before? It's almost like there are two circuits for the pump (auto and manual on), and the auto side has a problem and not spinning the pump fast enough or something. But I know for sure it turns on. Of course the obvious thing to do is replace the pump, but I'm leary of the automatic mode not protecting like it should have.

Oh, the leak ended up being the packing seal that I haven't looked at since early in the season. Should I at all be concerned with the starter being under water for a day?

are you saying it was in the auto position and not working (i.e. not cycling), or was it cycling, just not fast enough?

If it was in the auto position and didn't actually come on, it is one of 2 things (i have had both these occur).

1) the float is stuck. either its all gummy inside and doesn't actually float, or there is something blocking it from coming up

2) there are three wires. power, one for the override so you can directly turn the pump on, and one so that when the float activates, it turns the pump on. that one has probably come disconnected. this is what just happened to me. these wire sit in the bottom of the bilge, and for some reason, Malibu doesn't heat wrap these, so they corrode after awhile.

With the switch in the automatic position (or otherwise called off), the pump can still turn itself on when float detects water and lifts. When it does this, the switch in the dash will light up letting you know the pump is on, even though the switch is off. What is happening on mine is the float is lifting, the pump is turning on, but water will not bilge out. I could hear the pump running. When I turned the dash switch to manual on, the pitch of the pump changed a little, and then water started pumping out. The pump will turn on when water gets in, but is useless because it doen't empty the water out. Is that a little clearer?

As for the starter, it works fine now. Are you saying there are effects down the road? Any PM I can do to it to save it (remove and air dry, WD-40)?

What is happening on mine is the float is lifting, the pump is turning on, but water will not bilge out.  I could hear the pump running.  When I turned the dash switch to manual on, the pitch of the pump changed a little, and then water started pumping out.

That's wierd. Is it possible to have the wiring reversed for the "auto" part of the pump and not the "manual"? Because it sounds like maybe the pump is running backwards when on auto. ??? Dontknow.gif ??? Something to check anyway.

Should I at all be concerned with the starter being under water for a day?

yes.

Sorry. No.gif What do you think happens with your car starter, when going through a mud or water puddle? The water was there only a short time and then you started it. Rust would not set in that fast.

Do's it have two pumps?? :unsure:

Should I at all be concerned with the starter being under water for a day?

yes.

Sorry. No.gif What do you think happens with your car starter, when going through a mud or water puddle? The water was there only a short time and then you started it. Rust would not set in that fast.

Do's it have two pumps?? :unsure:

car starter? I thought the question had to do with a boat starter, splish splash on a starter is one thing, total emersion is another, but hey, just because I'd be concerned doesn't mean enyone else need be.

Ok then, what about 4X4 trucks :) . I have had my old truck (when I was a kid) with water coming in the doors. Look at all the Jeeps that have high air intake. Plus this is  a marine starter. Whistling.gif

a marine starter is NOT water tight though. the only difference is it is shielded to prevent sparks...

I would take apart the starter and clean it out.