Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1986 or 1988 Sunsetter

BREZ

Going to look at the boat tomorrow to purchase. Skis, jackets, tubes, & ropes included. Hoping to find info on what to look for with problems on this boat.

Any info would be much appreciated. If the boat is in as good as condition as informed by the owner, I will try & test drive this weekend. Cold weekend in MI to be on the boat but need to test drive it.

Any suggestions on $? Don't know the # hours on the boat.

Thanks,

BREZ

I bought a 93 Sunsetter a couple of years ago.

It was a disaster but, I was able to rebuild her and she's a beaut now!

What are you wanting? If it's an inexpenmsive ride with some issues? Are you looking for an older boat that is in pristine condition or restored?

One of the things to determine on the phone, was this boat in a lift, trailered, or stored in water all summer? Did they have a good water resistant cover on it?

I would be most concerned with the floor-is it soft in areas or gone through, the motor make sure you have good compression readings (if they will provide for you). How many hours does it have?

Hull, you want to see if it has gel coat blistering on the bottom, some is probably going to be there but you dont want the outer layer flaking off, this is very expensive to fix!

What is the vinyl like, are there tears or spots where it is very faded, are the seats in good mcondition? Open the engine cover, look at the stringers (as you can see them) look at the engine itself, is it cared for? Are then hoses and belts in pretty good shape? Is there oil in the bottom of the bay?

What condition is the trailer in? are the bunks solid, are the brakes up to date, are the wheels and tires in good condition?

Price, if it's in rough shape you will pay in the $3500-$4000 range (give or take a bit) and in really good condition, you can pay $10k or more.

If youa re really interested, and there's a Malibu dealer close by, pay the money and have them look at it and tell you what it needs.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Going to look at the boat tomorrow to purchase. Skis, jackets, tubes, & ropes included. Hoping to find info on what to look for with problems on this boat.

Any info would be much appreciated. If the boat is in as good as condition as informed by the owner, I will try & test drive this weekend. Cold weekend in MI to be on the boat but need to test drive it.

Any suggestions on $? Don't know the # hours on the boat.

Thanks,

BREZ

I have a 95 that I bought new and feel it was one of the best purchases I have made, it is a solid boat. Price is subject to condition. Pull up the back seat and the rear access panel before going out on the water. Sit on the floor with someone else driving so you can listen for strange noises also you can watch the prop-shaft to see if it is vibrating. Look at the exhaust manifolds for signs of leaking or rust. Steering should be smooth. Acceleration should have no hesitation , is the pylon sturdy? Trailer should be roadworthy.

Thanks for all the helpfull info. Boat will be for family & friends while visiting us at the lake. Looking for a starter tow boat, kids will be 4 & 5 next summer and would like to spend more time with the family on the water. Current owner trailers boat and it is stored in a pole barn when not in use. Owner has indicated that floor is soft around motor cover and drivers seat, that is an area of concern. Will know more about the boat after tomorrows viewing. Wife looked at the boat last week and said the seats and interior look nice, no cracks or fading on seats or carpet.

Thanks for all the helpfull info. Boat will be for family & friends while visiting us at the lake. Looking for a starter tow boat, kids will be 4 & 5 next summer and would like to spend more time with the family on the water. Current owner trailers boat and it is stored in a pole barn when not in use. Owner has indicated that floor is soft around motor cover and drivers seat, that is an area of concern. Will know more about the boat after tomorrows viewing. Wife looked at the boat last week and said the seats and interior look nice, no cracks or fading on seats or carpet.

if it is indeed a 94 or newer the floor should not be soft because there is no wood in that boat, if it is bulging or sagging that is one thing, if it is indeed soft, stay away cause it is a costly repair. the year of the boat will be in the hull I.D. # on the port side of the transom.

I bought my 88 sunsetter this summer with 600hrs on it. I could tell from the pictures on the computer that it was in good shape. When I went and looked at it I was right. I checked all the floor and everything for soft spots (I`ve already done that project once before, not again) The motor checked out, not a drop of oil in the bilge, and generally clean all over. The older 350`s, having less electronics, I think are great engines with tons of parts available anywhere. I know a beachcomber running the same 350 in his work boat, pushin over 4000hrs.

The only two things I need to fix are the windshield which moves such that the walkthru window doesnt line up properly, and the back bench seat needs to be re-upholstered where people have been climbing over it for 20 years.

If the boat checks out, I know you`ll love it. With the bow rider you`ll have lots of room for friends and family, add some tunes and you`ll be set! Good luck on the boat hunt.

if it is indeed a 94 or newer the floor should not be soft because there is no wood in that boat, if it is bulging or sagging that is one thing, if it is indeed soft, stay away cause it is a costly repair. the year of the boat will be in the hull I.D. # on the port side of the transom.

Just to clarify, it was '95 that was the year that the Sunsetter went to all glass on the SV23 hull. '94 & older had wood & were on the old hull.

People he's talking about an 80's boat not a 90's. An 86 or an 88 has a wood floor. Find out how much it costs to have the floor professionally replaced and take that into consideration.

Now an 88 Malibu, open bow, 700 hours, in great shape would be worth $11,000 max (in Michigan) if you ask me. That's what I would pay if it was all original, hard floor, very clean motor, very clean hull, great condition. In this economy it might be 3,000 less. You can find boats for a steal right now.

I'll take a ski behind it if you want to pull me! I haven't skied in 2 weeks and need a fix! :)

Checked out the boat tonight and it is in rough shape. It needs a good amount of work, but still considering buying it. The work consists of a good cleaning and waxing for the easy part and replacement of hoses, blower lines, and electrical is not all hooked up, seats are worn but not trashed. Floor seemed solid wherever I stood and put a lot of pressure down. Turned right over when started but didn't run it long. Going to try and get it in the water this weekend. It is a 1988, 2nd owner, they purchased it in 1991 and used it on summer vacations. Hour meter has 297.3 hours on it. Is there any way to check the hour meter is correct? Some of the things that I liked was the bottom had very few marks on it, no play in the rudder, shaft, or fins, prop had a small dink in it but not bad. Like I said it needs work but really want to get it on the water.

Trailer is rusted but I will have it on a lift during the summer and will only use the trailer to but it in & take it out.

Any other suggestions, don't know much about tow boats but trying to learn.

Checked out the boat tonight and it is in rough shape. It needs a good amount of work, but still considering buying it. The work consists of a good cleaning and waxing for the easy part and replacement of hoses, blower lines, and electrical is not all hooked up, seats are worn but not trashed. Floor seemed solid wherever I stood and put a lot of pressure down. Turned right over when started but didn't run it long. Going to try and get it in the water this weekend. It is a 1988, 2nd owner, they purchased it in 1991 and used it on summer vacations. Hour meter has 297.3 hours on it. Is there any way to check the hour meter is correct? Some of the things that I liked was the bottom had very few marks on it, no play in the rudder, shaft, or fins, prop had a small dink in it but not bad. Like I said it needs work but really want to get it on the water.

Trailer is rusted but I will have it on a lift during the summer and will only use the trailer to but it in & take it out.

Any other suggestions, don't know much about tow boats but trying to learn.

My first boat had wood construction. Take a socket wrench to the motor mounts and make sure they are secure. It they don't tighten you've got dry rot in the stringers. The motor mounts are always a tell tale sign.

Purchased the boat this past weekend. Problems with seperated exhaust line. I have a post in the maint. forum but not sure how to post pictures.

Any suggestions on posting pictures?

Thanks,

Brez