Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New watersport product liability

footnlongline

I am currently developing prototypes for a new piece of watersports equipment that will revolutionize the industry and am curious if anyone had any product liability expertise? Because this concept is so radical and guaranteed to take the industry by storm, I am unable to share the very nature of this product w/o once again exposing myself to idea theft. If it all goes according to plan I will give MC members a chance to buy at cost 6 months prior actual marketing date.

I've been tweaking the product, and it's alot of fun but like all watersports, it carries the risk of injury. This is new territory for me, should I proceed?

I am not the guy you are looking for. However, you have peaked my curiosity. How long before we get a sneak peak at this new toy?

It is still in it's infancy, maybe the end of next summer but I want to make sure I get it right the first time. I'm also trying to tweak it for certain tricks and learn how to do them. Some folks already are looking at me and/or it with either laughter,curiosity or outright horror and it's hard to keep it under wraps. Maybe I should be trying it at night. You guys will be the first to see it when it's ready.... If I don't kill myself with it first.

Patent the product before you move forward, product liability will be based on a per unit cost. (grab your a**) I hope you have considered PL in your cost per unit, most people over look that part of the equation.

You should consider documenting your idea and then talking with a product liability attorney.

You might find your best approach is to refine the product and then sell it to a mainline manufacturer that can spread the liability exposure over several products.

Non-Disclosure agreements can protect you.

Getting a patent is an expensive and time consuming process. And if you have had your product out in the "marketplace", you may already be losing some of your inventor protection. Technically, if one of your neighbors has seen what you have, and gets to the patent office first, it is theirs.

I am not the guy you are looking for. However, you have peaked my curiosity. How long before we get a sneak peak at this new toy?

It is still in it's infancy, maybe the end of next summer but I want to make sure I get it right the first time. I'm also trying to tweak it for certain tricks and learn how to do them. Some folks already are looking at me and/or it with either laughter,curiosity or outright horror and it's hard to keep it under wraps. Maybe I should be trying it at night. You guys will be the first to see it when it's ready.... If I don't kill myself with it first.

LOL That statement won't get many product liability underwriters interested in covering it.

A patent research will establish a time line and provide a little security as it was your invention. I would move on that first.

It will also give you "Patent Pending" status for added protection to your invention (another plus)

Edited by Boat Rocks
Technically, if one of your neighbors has seen what you have, and gets to the patent office first, it is theirs.

other than getting sued, that is my biggest worries, thanks for the advice

A patent research will establish a time line and provide a little security as it was your invention. I would move on that first.

It will also give you "Patent Pending" status for added protection to your invention (another plus)

I figured this is the avenue I would have to take, I just want to make sure that if some drunk idiot kills himself with/on/ in or around this thing I am not going to loose everything before I make some money, so maybe calling up liquid force or kidder may not be a bad idea? BTW what ever happened to those tubes that would fly 10 feet off the water? are those guys who came up with them digging ditches in Indiana?

I figured this is the avenue I would have to take, I just want to make sure that if some drunk idiot kills himself with/on/ in or around this thing I am not going to loose everything before I make some money, so maybe calling up liquid force or kidder may not be a bad idea? BTW what ever happened to those tubes that would fly 10 feet off the water? are those guys who came up with them digging ditches in Indiana?

I would also suggest a LLC to protect you personally. Calling up liquid force or kidder, why Footnlongline, LLC. might own those two companies next year if its a killer invention!

Also utube has some great video of that flying tube!

Edited by Boat Rocks