Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Large scratch on my VLX 08, how to repair

Wakesetter2008

Recently i scratched my new malibu (trailering).

The gelcoat is scratched about 4 inches until the fiberglass.

If you look on the pictures (see the link below), you can see a dark layer. I think it is a barriercoat to prevent blistering (osmosis).

Can someone tell me how to repair this scratch properly so that blistering will not happen.

I ask recently different pro's but they want it to repair with a simple fiberglass filler and gelcoat. This means the laminate could absorb water so the possibility that osmosis could occur.

See the pics..

scratch malibu

Edited by Wakesetter2008
It'll buff out.

Not if it's down to the fiberglass like he stated.

I seriously think he was kidding, at least I hope.

That's more than a scratch or a gouge, that's damn near carnage and is hard to look at. Just the fact that you asked the question tells me that you shouldn't try to do the repair yourself (no offense), better take it to the pros.

I've repaired a lot of scratches and very small gouges on my boats, but I've got to agree with everyone else and say that that is one that I would take to have done professionally. Ouch.

Recently i scratched my new malibu (trailering).

The gelcoat is scratched about 4 inches until the fiberglass.

If you look on the pictures (see the link below), you can see a dark layer. I think it is a barriercoat to prevent blistering (osmosis).

Can someone tell me how to repair this scratch properly so that blistering will not happen.

I ask recently different pro's but they want it to repair with a simple fiberglass filler and gelcoat. This means the laminate could absorb water so the possibility that osmosis could occur.

See the pics..

scratch malibu

Your lucky the boat still floats .... Cry.gif Please take it to a professional!! I would submitt an insurance claim for that little tiny scratch...