Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

looking for LED interior lights

MexTex

I am going to install some LED lights in the interior of my boat for aesthetics. I was thinking about just installing the OEM Malibu LED lights, but they only come in white and red, at least that’s what they have on Bakes Online ($20.99 for a single light and housing). I have been searching on the Internet for something similar to the OEM lights and I came across these:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/alm-x3.htm

They come in either chrome or black for $5.49 each. They look fairly similar to the OEM lights, except the dispersion pattern is a little different. I was wondering if anyone has tried these or has used something similar and could give me some info on the products they used.

Thanks Thumbup.gif

I didn't use those exact ones, but I installed other Superbright LEDs throughout the boat and they are great. I went with red throughout the interior. Much easier on the eyes at night than the white lights.

I did my boat last winter and also came up with the same problem of color. so I used oznium. and low and behold not three days after I was done I found this link to the exact same lights as Malibu but in colors. needless to say I am not going to redo this boat but my next boat will be done using this method. b\just make sure and use the housings (stainless steel) from bakes. the mega series will be the ones you want.. hope that helps. Thumbup.gif

http://www.boogey.com/?do=/home.htm

Edited by liljohn

I went the oval shaped black plastic ones from superbrightleds.com. I've been happy with them, I think I installed 11 or 12 of them. The entire project cost me less then $75. I'm not entering any contests with them but they work. Here's the only crappy pic I've got, there's 2 in the bow as well.

post-8316-1256680986_thumb.jpg

I have LED cup holder lights on my website www.publicsafetymotorsports.com. Check it out if you want more pics let me know. I'm not very good at building my site but its a start.

Edited by Malibuswany

Double stick tape works great.I took the two factory led"s out an replaced with three.Easy to hook up,just remove the speaker and splice in to the facyory wires.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a halo effect with the Oznium pre-wired superflux 4-chip lights in my old Nautique. Looked pretty good. I would put them in the cup holders next time though...

LED1.jpg

InteriorLED2.jpg

Mex-Tex... I would stay away from those lights in the link you posted. I bought some of those but didn't end up using. The light is more of a spotlight effect... I was going to use them under my seats aiming towards the floor and all you can see is 3 red bullseyes. I wanted more of a soft glow effect light the factory malibu ones.

Here's my last boat. These are the 4 led pods from superbrightleds.com.

carpetsaver7001.jpg

Soooooo who wins this match? I'm also looking to put blue LEDs in my 06 Wakesetter LSV and I want the "glowing" effect someone else mentioned rather than beams of light. I was planning on replacing all of the stock bulbs with the festoon 4211 bulbs. And then maybe that pair of blue lights mentioned earlier for 5.95 each per gunnel (so 4 PAIRS total)

Would that look pretty legit? Or should I go with white (for a more stock look) or even Red (match the gauge cluster)

Oh and before I forget, Anyone with experience with Fetsoon bulbs, what is the proper color white to get. I believe the options are like cool white, warm white, and like super white or some variation of it

I`ll join in with the blue look.

I remember the night we took that photo. May additional LED lights be a warning at night: they attract bugs!!! They were everywhere! LOL.gif

-Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my last boat. These are the 4 led pods from superbrightleds.com.

carpetsaver7001.jpg

Are those Amber? My interior is yellow and white so I was having a hard time trying to decide what color to go with as well. I was thinking of amber.

there is an LED interior kit on ebay for the toys for tots auction (check the classifieds) Im sure it will be a good deal, if not a good cause.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any knowledge about using neons instead of LED's? I like the glow from neons as opposed to the beam of light with LED's but don't know if they are not used because they are bulky, break hazard, not as easy to hide, etc? I'm leaning towards red lights to match the dash. Does placement of the LED (height from the floor) make a difference? It appears from pictures that the higher they are placed, the more glow and less beam. Is this true? Or have I just not seen enough examples?

Here's mine. I used an RGB light strip that I cut into pieces and wired into a controller that is mounted under the dash. You use a remote control to control the color of the lights. We usually pick one, but the controller will do all kinds of cool effects and sequences. The LED strip is IP67 rated and totally silicone encased. Pretty cool stuff. It comes in a 16' strip and you can cut it to the lengths you want and wire them all together at the controller or use multiple controllers if you want to go nuts. Biggrin.gif You can get it here....

US LED Supply Waterproof Silicone LED strip

med_gallery_7666_621_4221.jpg

med_gallery_7666_621_35696.jpg

med_gallery_7666_621_5096.jpg

Edited by martinarcher