Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone looking for a project boat

JDubya

Wow. Do you think that you would have to rebuild that motor? And what about all of the electrical? It will make some handy person a great boat.

For the amount of headache that may come with that boat, it's not very tempting. I can recall a member's tale from a few years ago about his trip to Lake Powell. A passing cruiser swamped his RLXi that they were towing as they took their houseboat out to their spot. I remember him saying that at one point it was so far under water that only the top of the tower was visible. They got it running, doing all of the proper flushing that you're supposed to do to the engine. But the point is that I remember him saying that he had a lot of electrical issues after that & I don't know if he ever got them sorted.

Electrical issues are the hardest thing to troubleshoot in a boat, making that one not so desirable IMO.

I wonder how many hours it has? This would definitely be a sight to be seen purchase, just seeing where it sits would not give me a very comfortable feeling that your going into this with complete blind folds on.

As stated, electrical problems are the most irritating problems to deal with. I would think that a complete brand new wiring harness and gauges would be a must just to get started. I wonder how much something like that would cost.

Edited by 68Slalom

....not to mention that it prob has a salvage title and resale will definately drop like a rock given it's history.

Def not for the faint of heart or light of wallet. :lol:

Could be a deal...just depends on how valuable your time IMO. Reapirs like this are always mroe involved than you initialy think them to be.

....not to mention that it prob has a salvage title and resale will definately drop like a rock given it's history.

Def not for the faint of heart or light of wallet. :lol:

Could be a deal...just depends on how valuable your time IMO. Reapirs like this are always mroe involved than you initialy think them to be.

Totally, projects in general take longer than anticipated. In my case, anyways :)

The guy "Says" it has ~400 hours. The gauges dont work so he can't confirm... I was quite tempted by this until I read this in the listing:

"The information is believed to be correct but not guaranteed."

Charlston is WAY too close to the ocean to not fully understand the history of a boat like this.

P.S. It does have a clean GA title

Sinkers are not the deals they seem to be.

First off, you would not get away without replacing the wiring harness in the entire boat, period. Engine/tranny if they were flushed quickly will be ok internally, but will need all new electronics, injectors, wiring harness, sensors, starter, fuel pump, alt, etc etc. Not to mention all the gauges/gauge computer and anything else electrical will have to be replaced. Easily $5k in parts.

-Chris

I would never recommend buying something like that sight unseen. Now if I lived in that state, i would definitely want to take a look at it!

Most boats that have been sunk cost $7-10K to fix it right so you don't have problems long term over and over again. If this one was totaled then it will probably have a salvaged title which in some cases Insurance companies will not insure as one of my customers found out this year buying a auction boat out of Oregon.

Worth checking out / looking into if your in that area for sure!

-Paul

Edited by Bake's Marine