Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should replacement engine get an extended warranty from dealer?

My 2007 HH engine with 180 hrs had to be replaced this summer under a warranty issue involving a bent valve, and lifters, from normal use. My original warranty on engine is set to expire this may 2010. What position should I take regarding a new or extended warranty on the new engine? I feel as though indmar or my dealer should offer me a new warranty on the replacement engine. I wanted to get everyone's opinion before I bring it up to the dealer. Thanks.

James

My 2007 HH engine with 180 hrs had to be replaced this summer under a warranty issue involving a bent valve, and lifters, from normal use. My original warranty on engine is set to expire this may 2010. What position should I take regarding a new or extended warranty on the new engine? I feel as though indmar or my dealer should offer me a new warranty on the replacement engine. I wanted to get everyone's opinion before I bring it up to the dealer. Thanks.

James

IMHO if it is a new replacement (not a rebuild) then it should be subject to the original mfg warrany period (i.e. 3 yrs from date of install). However, when talking about vehicles this is not standard procedure in my experience. They view these as lifetime events, in otherwords the warranty applies to the vehicle as a unit and therefore they do not grant exceptions to the lifetime of the entire vehicle and thus would not warrant anything beyond the factory warranty period.

It is not in their interest to do so financially. However you could entice them with a good will plee. Dontknow.gif

It's not likely they will give you a warranty from install date as the components that are in the drive train are not new and can (hypothetically) affect the longevity of the engine. I would ask them to let you have a warranty until the end of next year's season so you can tell if the engine seems good. I would think they would be OK with that.

Not likely BU will extend their warranty. However it would not hurt to ask the dealer about any warranty specific to the new engine through Indmar or wherever it came from.

It's not likely they will give you a warranty from install date as the components that are in the drive train are not new and can (hypothetically) affect the longevity of the engine. I would ask them to let you have a warranty until the end of next year's season so you can tell if the engine seems good. I would think they would be OK with that.
Not likely BU will extend their warranty. However it would not hurt to ask the dealer about any warranty specific to the new engine through Indmar or wherever it came from.

These are both excellent repsonses. I didn't see any warranty mentioned in GM marine engine site...

http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gm...ine_engines.jsp

But I would imagine it has some sort of covereage. If not I would imagine that giving you through next season would allow ample time to evaluate any issues with the new motor.

I had a similar situation with my boat engine. It took a crazy long time to diagnose the problem and quite frankly I don't think they did, however after some push from me and my dealer the Entire engine was replaced with a brand new one. I think they called it a bobtail. I ended up lucky (I think) since the engine they replaced it with was a year newer with the ETX exhaust and everything. Anyways, back to the topic...I lost a lot of time with the boat the first year I owned it. Malibu did really treat me great, but I had to ASK. You won't get anything if you don't ask. Do so in writing, they will have to respond. I ended up with my engine being covered for an entire season beyond the original, amoung other things. I thought it was fair.

By the way...My boat had NEVER skipped a beat since the re and re of the engine. I have been extremely pleased.

I dealt with Guy Coward at Malibu...He did help me out. Good luck,

Kevin