Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter Storage $$

barefootpaul

Ever since we got the bu it has lived in our two car garage winter and summer. Which means my truck is outside. No problem in the summer but it is a pain on cold winter mornings. It's getting old.

This year we are thinking about finding some storage space for the bu. What are you paying? I would want to be out of the elements and critter free.

We found a listing on CL for $35 (I assume per month). Wondering if that is a good deal or if I should push them a little. Dontknow.gif

Thanks Crew

Ever since we got the bu it has lived in our two car garage winter and summer. Which means my truck is outside. No problem in the summer but it is a pain on cold winter mornings. It's getting old.

This year we are thinking about finding some storage space for the bu. What are you paying? I would want to be out of the elements and critter free.

We found a listing on CL for $35 (I assume per month). Wondering if that is a good deal or if I should push them a little. Dontknow.gif

Thanks Crew

hmmm. I tend to stay away from Craigslist stuff.

That aside. I know in my area it averages about $300-400 a season to store your boat in a storage unit. Given that amount, you could always buy one of those carports for 800 bucks and store it under that if you have the room on your property.

I have a 12' x 30' with concrete floor, power & a 12' tall door for $125 / mo. I would think $35 is a steal, have a dirt floor, 9' high door & no power.

And it was a CL listing. BTW, I cleaned up on CL this weekend. Gave away a box of old light switches & AC outlets (from when we remodeled & installed all now outlets & switches), picked up a free load of gravel, sold a K&N CAI for a Chevy truck, and have like 3 guys in line to buy an Artic Cat ATV. 1st guy comes out tonite.

I had one guy bail out on the light switches, but I didn't spend any time with him so no loss. And I had 1 bogus email from a Corporal Vance Johnson with the USMC.... [email protected]. I laughed & deleted it.

CL rocks.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I pay $125/mo. year round for my storage. It is 'valet'...I call them a few minutes ahead and they dig my boat out of the warehouse and hook it up to my truck when I get there. Drop off is as simple as pulling into the parking lot and letting them take it away. It's nice because I can leave all my stuff on the boat.

It is something I wish I had thought of....it is a huge warehouse. And it is FULL of boats, RVs, classic cars, etc.

Edited by rts

I pay $90 per month for covered storage for my travel trailer. Space is 13 x 30 partitioned and is a gated paved facility with cameras and part time resident. Space is open to the north and is side by side with other motorhomes, trailers, boats, etc. . I am happy with this setup because my 2002 trailer still looks new because it is not exposed to the weather. The trailer tires do not show signs of ozone cracking yet. I've had this spot for 12 years and had a rate increase last year.

Of course the old Spyder boat is inside my heated 4 car garage just in front of the Porsche.

Edited by DONTW8

I used to pay about $85/ month for non heated but secure storage. I decided to make friends with one of the farmers down the road. He takes the hay off my 40 acres and I get free storage in one of his barns for the eight months of winter we get. I just put lots of Bounce dryer sheets in the boat to keep the mice out. Works great.

AW

98% of the lawyers give the rest a bad name.

$80/mo indoor heated, security, 10 minutes from my home. I still winterize the boat (last Dec we had an ice storm that knocked power out for a week). I figure shrinkwrapping would be close to $300...so I spare that expense.

$35/month is a steal! It's close to what I pay ($33) for a dirt-floored, non-insulated, tin-roofed and tin-

sided shed way out in the boondocks, without any appreciable security. I've had it since 2002, before

I even bought the Malibu, and it's really too small for the 'Bu (too narrow, maybe 20 inches of

clearance on either side of the trailer). But, the boat now lives full time at a marina, so I keep the

lease on the shed just for trailer storage (the marina wanted to charge $25/month to store the trailer

in a vacant field). Saves the tires, bunks, winch strap, and paint from sun damage. Worth the upgrade

to me.

Priced a place in Tennessee last winter for seasonal storage. They wanted $400 for gravel floor and non-heated without any real security. Decided to clean out my garage and save the cash. Ran the back corner of my Dodge into a column backing into the garage. I saved $400 on the storage and spent about $1000 on my truck. $35/mo sounds too good to be true. I would proceed with caution.

I pay 65.00 per month, as long as I pay it up front for the year. 12 X 25 concrete floor completly enclosed, Just fits, I don't have to take the swim platform off or lower the tower. Thumbup.gif

I'm getting killed for storage but don't have any other choice. I want to keep my boat indoors to protect it from the harsh AZ sun. There are not too many places that have indoor storage big enough to accomodate my boat. The only place I found is charging me $240/month. So for now...I have to bend over each month until I find another solution. Right now, $240/mo gets me a 12 X 40 individual space with a 12' gate, cement floor, tin walls on three sides and ceiling, no power, security camera and live-in onsite attendant. It's also 10 minutes from my house.

So, to the OP, $35/mo is not bad at all!

In the Indy area, most of the storage spaces are too narrow for a boat, so a space with a 9 or 10 foot wide door is a premium.

There were several outdor places, and ranged from $30 - $50 a month for a secure parking spot.

One local place was about $90 / month for a 12 x 28, individual unit, concrete floor and full walls. Gated entrance and security.

Same place had a "barn", that was basically a storage unit building with all of the overhead doors but no inside walls at all.

It was $70 a month, but they had to let you in and out to be sure you only got your own vehicle out (there were a few boats,

some classic cars and a few others.)

We found a place in Kentucky on the way to both campgrounds we use regularly at Dale Hollow.

It is $650 for the year, 12 x 30 with a 10 foot door and concrete floor, solid walls. Gated entry, and the owners live on the property.

What is really cool about this place is they have a boat cleaning station with fresh water and vaccuum, and a few restrooms with showers

if you want to use them before driving home. All of this is free with the rental.

We plan to leave the boat there much of the time in the summer, but will bring it back home when we know we will do some mid-week trips to local lakes.

I will probably pay for the storage in fuel savings without pulling the boat 5 hours each way.

i pay 105 per month for warehouse heated/camera's/ and I don't have to drop the tower or anything, I call them ahead of time and they get it ready. I pull in they hook it and off I go. it's a door company that is slow so the owner decided on story boats,rvs etc.

A couple friends of mine in the area found someone that has a heated warehouse and his business has slowed down tremendously, so he is renting out spots for $175 for the entire winter! They used to pay $300 to shrinkwrap, so this is a no-brainer.

A couple friends of mine in the area found someone that has a heated warehouse and his business has slowed down tremendously, so he is renting out spots for $175 for the entire winter! They used to pay $300 to shrinkwrap, so this is a no-brainer.

Welcome to the Michigan economy. I've got 160,000 square feet of heated storage that has recently become available.

Ours lives underground for 5 months in a limestone mine that is now used for storage of RV's and boats. They charge $185 for 5 months of winter storage. I think it is $70 a month if you leave it past 5 months. It'as a great deal and is certainly nice to have the garage for the cars in the winter.

Check it out...

Gateway Commerce Center

Ours lives underground for 5 months in a limestone mine that is now used for storage of RV's and boats. They charge $185 for 5 months of winter storage. I think it is $70 a month if you leave it past 5 months. It'as a great deal and is certainly nice to have the garage for the cars in the winter.

Check it out...

Gateway Commerce Center

OK, you get the coolest storage place award.

Check it out...

Gateway Commerce Center

I have a storage spot similar to that under my house down a secret elevator with another entrance behind a waterfall at the end of a road in the forrest. Batman.gif

Check it out...

Gateway Commerce Center

That ROCKS!!

Haha - thanks guys. It is a really cool place.

I work for a mining company so going underground isn't really anything new to me, but it was a little strange towing the boat into the side of a mountain the first time. Crazy.gif

It is about 600 feet below the surface where the boat sits for the winter. The cool thing is it is 55 degrees year round so if I miss something winterizing it won't mean a cracked block.

I guess if I was lazy I could just leave the water in the block, but I still fill with antifreeze just in case it's cold early before I get a chance to get it underground or we have a nasty March when I bring it back home to the garage.

Haha - thanks guys. It is a really cool place.

I work for a mining company so going underground isn't really anything new to me, but it was a little strange towing the boat into the side of a mountain the first time. Crazy.gif

It is about 600 feet below the surface where the boat sits for the winter. The cool thing is it is 55 degrees year round so if I miss something winterizing it won't mean a cracked block.

I guess if I was lazy I could just leave the water in the block, but I still fill with antifreeze just in case it's cold early before I get a chance to get it underground or we have a nasty March when I bring it back home to the garage.

What mining company do you work for? I live in the heart of coal country in Eastern KY. See a lot of miners in the clinic for various injuries.