Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hyperlite broadcast

ricnvic

I just bought a HL Broadcast this weekend and got up on one for the first time, what a blast I can't wait for next weekend. We couldn't seam to get the wake to shape up very good we had 11 people (mostly teenagers) in the boat and I filled the left tank, middle tank and put the wedge down but this is what the wake looked like. Oh yeah we weere doing 10.5 mph....... Any tips on getting a better wake? and where does everyone pull from the tower or the ski pylon.

post-226-1127106299_thumb.jpg

You need more weight. Your boat isn't even leaning yet. Need a sack in the locker and one in the bow to start.

gallery_5_14_55421.jpg

I thought that you couldn't put more that 75lbs. in the back compartment over the hard tanks. I have a 2005 VLX with middle and backside tanks, that is not enough? what do you have in your boat?

On our 05 VLX we surf with:

- Front, mid and 1 rear ballast full

- Wedge down

- VAB (voice activated ballast, aka people) on same side as surf

- no sling yet. . . .

- 9.8 mph

- tow off the tower

Our wake is very surfable - most going ropeless at least a little on their 3rd or 4th try. (sorry no pictures handy)

In that picture we had the stock left rear, center, front MLS + a 540lb sack in the left rear locker that is about 1/2 full. Probably 5 or 6 people in the boat. 10.5 to 11 mph.

We've had as many as 16 people in the boat while surfing and the wake was crazy high and long.

We had 400lbs in an '06 rear locker the other day with the factory ballast filled too. I've seen several people putting sacks in the lockers with the underfloor ballast. It's up to you though, it's your boat. I'm sure others will chime in on that subject.

I have an 05 also and I put a 750 in the rear compartment when surfing and 400 per side when riding with not problems. The way I look at it is that is 750 spread out over a large area. When I set back there to do maint on it I'm 265 in about a 12x12 area and that it alot more PSI then the sac. I think that you will be fine with sacs.

In the first pictur Ronnie also had

Ken in the sling for the mean lean with bling and zing

LOL

We always fill both sides in the rear and center and put 400 in the bow on the side of the surfer. One reason we fill both is because we surf 1/2 goofy and 1/2 regular so we don't fill and empty with each rider.

The object is to get the boat to lean - a decent list and the right speed makes a very clean wave - more ballast makes it bigger.

Edited by Brad B
I just bought a HL Broadcast this weekend and got up on one for the first time, what a blast I can't wait for next weekend. We couldn't seam to get the wake to shape up very good we had 11 people (mostly teenagers) in the boat and I filled the left tank, middle tank and put the wedge down but this is what the wake looked like. Oh yeah we weere doing 10.5 mph....... Any tips on getting a better wake? and where does everyone pull from the tower or the ski pylon?

We have gotten a cleaner wake on our '05 vlx with less than what you had. I had a similar amount of balast on the driver side and found that we needed to speed up to 12 to clean up the wake. Now, it could be that our spedo is not callibrated correctly.

I think proper front to back ratio is key when using the wedge. When the boat is level, the wedge is angled down and driving the back of the boat down. If you are over weighted in the back, the wedge is not doing its job and may even be doing the opposite effect. Brad told me about this and it made sense but I witnessed it firsthand yesterday when I added four more people than normal in the back and nothing in the front. The wake was washed out and hardly even surfable.

I just bought a HL Broadcast this weekend and got up on one for the first time, what a blast I can't wait for next weekend. We couldn't seam to get the wake to shape up very good we had 11 people (mostly teenagers) in the boat and I filled the left tank, middle tank and put the wedge down but this is what the wake looked like. Oh yeah we weere doing 10.5 mph....... Any tips on getting a better wake? and where does everyone pull from the tower or the ski pylon?

I actually looks like the wedge is not down.

On our 05 VLX we surf with:

- Front, mid and 1 rear ballast full

- Wedge down

- VAB (voice activated ballast, aka people) on same side as surf

- no sling yet. . . .

- 9.8 mph

- tow off the tower

Our wake is very surfable - most going ropeless at least a little on their 3rd or 4th try. (sorry no pictures handy)

I do about the same, with these additions:

about 200 lbs of lead in the walk-through, another 200 under the rear-corner seat, and (2) 400 lb fat sacks in the same rear locker next to the motor. I know it says 75 lbs. The floor is very sturdy, and I have done this set-up about 10-12 times now with no problems. I was told the main problem you may have is compressing the under floor tank slightly. This "may" damage the ballast tank level sender inside the tank. Well, mine still works fine, plus I don't use the guages anyway.

I have also found that changing the speed a bit one way or the other makes a good difference. Experiment, and have fun!