Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ATF stain on carpet

Green_Giant

Draining the tranny fluid and the baby started crying on the monitor. I jolted and spilled fluid on the tan carpet. I'm very sad about what happened, I take such good care of this boat and now this. I've been at it for an hour with the bissell little green carpet cleaner with simple green and water as the solution. Made progress but still a red tint in spots and the fluid seems to have lightened the carpet (or ultra cleaned it) compared to the surroundings.

I'm fairly dejected at this point, any guidance on what I can throw at this to pull the rest of the ATF and dye out and even things out a bit more? Would make my day.

Thanks as always.

Baking Soda - I use it on all my carpet ( indoors and out ) .

Baking soda is probably your best bet. If you want to save money, save the environment and get rid of odors and stains, use baking soda when carpet cleaning. Sprinkle the baking soda on the carpet and mist the area with hot water. If it's a really tough stain or odor, apply a lot of baking soda and scrub with a stiff brush. Leave the baking soda on to soak and work it's magic, then vacuum it. Rinse the area with water and use the wet vacuum to drink up the water.

Above from here http://www.repair-home.com/Carpet_Cleaning_Solutions.html

Draining the tranny fluid and the baby started crying on the monitor. I jolted and spilled fluid on the tan carpet. I'm very sad about what happened, I take such good care of this boat and now this. I've been at it for an hour with the bissell little green carpet cleaner with simple green and water as the solution. Made progress but still a red tint in spots and the fluid seems to have lightened the carpet (or ultra cleaned it) compared to the surroundings.

I'm fairly dejected at this point, any guidance on what I can throw at this to pull the rest of the ATF and dye out and even things out a bit more? Would make my day.

Thanks as always.

If all else fails, try some Brake Clean. Test it in a hidden spot first to make sure it doesn't remove the carpet color. It shouldn't, I use it on the car all the time to get any tar spots out.

i had good luck cleaning up a two year old "STP" (motor honey) mess that was the size of a baseball using wd-40.

as nasty as STP is i was amazed that wd-40 could fix it.

edited to head towards a lucid statement.

Edited by tvano

As mentioned, Brake Cleaner will easily lift the ATF from the carpet. In the future, just spray on a rag and blot the area....repeat as req'd.

No idea if it'll be as effective being used after the other water based cleaners.

At the dealership we used a product called AcrySol if we got grease on the upholstry of a car. Don't know where to get it but I can tell you that the stuff REALLY worked and not as harsh as brake cleaner.

Edited by ruffdawg

Tuff Stuff Didn't touch this for whatever reason,(probably due to what I tried before) but the brake cleaner was amazing. More red dye was lifting onto the towel, probably need to hit it one or two more times but I'm feeling much better about things now.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

If all else fails, try some Brake Clean. Test it in a hidden spot first to make sure it doesn't remove the carpet color. It shouldn't, I use it on the car all the time to get any tar spots out.
Edited by Green_Giant
Tuff Stuff Didn't touch this for whatever reason,(probably due to what I tried before) but the brake cleaner was amazing. More red dye was lifting onto the towel, probably need to hit it one or two more times but [b]I'm feeling much better about things now.Thanks for the great suggestions!

Brake cleaner is not meant to be inhaled.......I believe it says so right on the can. Whistling.gif

Edited by ruffdawg

I've had some good luck in the past using lacquer thinner, but again, try in an inconspicuous area first. Works on automotive interiors, but leaves a strong stench for a while!

• 6 months later...

Start with the mild stuff first (such as Oxy-clean) then if the stain persists go to the heavy duty cleaners. Watch out for brake cleaner though, it may effect the rubber backing on the carpet. You can find Oxy-clean at most grocery stores or Costco. It's a powder and when you mix it with water a bubbling chemical reaction takes place helping to lift the stain. Use a squirt bottle or pail to mix it, and don't use a closed squirt bottle as the pressure will may cause it to explode.

Edited by scfdfireman