Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

looking at a 2005 sunsetter lxi

makoto

For that year, the boat is on a wake hull. If you need a better ski boat than wake boat, I don't know that this is the right fit. In prior years, the boat was on a ski hull and threw a great ski wake. If you're not planning on doing any course skiing, it's probably good enough. But if you're wanting to ski seriously, I doubt this is the boat for you. My 2 cents.

For that year, the boat is on a wake hull. If you need a better ski boat than wake boat, I don't know that this is the right fit. In prior years, the boat was on a ski hull and threw a great ski wake. If you're not planning on doing any course skiing, it's probably good enough. But if you're wanting to ski seriously, I doubt this is the boat for you. My 2 cents.

Thanks for your 2 cents. I guess the hull is a v25 diamond. Do you have any suggestions? I am not a course skier.

Edited by makoto

I have a 99 Sunsetter LXI. With a family of 6 (plus friends) we ski, wakeboard, kneeboard and tube. None of us are anywhere close to being experts so we just have fun and work on skills. I figure by the time my kids get that good they'll be leaving home anyway so the most I might do would be to add ballest some year. For us the Sunsetter is the perfect boat.

Oh, and welcome to the crew!

Edited by WakingMeHappy

If slalom wakes are key for you you'll want a Sunsetter LXi in the 99-04 year range. Those were arguably the best crossover boats ever made by any manufacturer (from a skiers perspective). I've skied behind one through the course on multiple occasions and am always amazed at the wake quality for a boat it's size. The Response's have a better wake (being the slalom tractor of the line-up) but only slightly.

Malibu changed the hull in '05...and not for the better in the opinion of most.

Edited by NorCaliBu

If you are an intermediate to advanced skiier and also want a good wakeboard/surf boat, I would recommend the Sunscape with the diamond hull. Like you, my wife and I are both slalom skiiers. We both also board and surf, along with both of our kids. We previously had a direct drive pure slalom boat and upgraded to a our 2003 Sunscape 23 LSV and have never regretted our purchase. If you go to waterskimag.com and read the boat tests, you will see that it is one of the only V-drve boats that actually gets good marks as both a slalom and wakeboard boat (by the way, you can get the same boat in the wakesetter with the diamond hull).

We have enjoyed our Sunscape so much we are in the process of buying a 2009. Not because our '03 is difficient in any way, I just like to buy a new boat (cars and motorhome too) every 5 - 6 years. We are selling our 2003 (see my ad in the malibucrew classified under 2003 Sunscape 23 LSV with Wakesetter package)/

Good luck on your search.

Thanks for your 2 cents. I guess the hull is a v25 diamond. Do you have any suggestions? I am not a course skier.

While that boat on a v25 diamond hull is not the great crossover boat that it's narrower, lighter, v23-diamond-hulled predecessor

was, it's still a pretty nice slalom wake for recreational skiing. Depending upon your expectations and what you are used to skiing

behind, you might find it to be quite satisfactory. My boat has that same hull, FWIW, and I've been very pleased.

If at all possible, ski behind it. Decide for yourself.

I have the 2006 Sunsetter and am happy with it, but the ski wake is not what I expected. I would like to hear from someone who has skied behind a VTX and a 05-06 SSLXI that can compare wakes. Mastercraft has the X-2 that I skied behind and the wake was bigger, but softer than my SSLXI.

I will say this, we have had 12 people in the boat with no problem. I think it just comes down to how serious you are about skiing v boarding. When I ballast this boat up - it is great!

Edited by DeltaDan
I have the 2006 Sunsetter and am happy with it, but the ski wake is not what I expected. I would like to hear from someone who has skied behind a VTX and a 05-06 SSLXI that can compare wakes. Mastercraft has the X-2 that I skied behind and the wake was bigger, but softer than my SSLXI.

I will say this, we have had 12 people in the boat with no problem. I think it just comes down to how serious you are about skiing v boarding. When I ballast this boat up - it is great!

How unhappy are you with the ski wake?

Please don't misunderstand my comments. I'm not saying that an 05/06 SLXi is a bad boat. Like DeltaDan said, I was just pointing out that it is not a good course boat (if you're expecting something similar to the Response wake of the era). I was just trying to warn you. Like WakeGirl says, try the boat before you buy. Anyone who is up-front would be willing to do this for a prospective buyer. You need to do it to assure that you're getting the boat that's right for you. It's a ton of money involved, so you don't want to be guessing.

How unhappy are you with the ski wake?

I am not that unhappy, but I am 6'3" 220 lbs, my wife is petite and it is a little hard for her. I don't think it would be good for a course (as advertised) and I don't ski one either, but I ski at 32-34 mph 15-22 off. I would like to hear from someone who has skied behind a VTX or Sunscape that can compare.

Edited by DeltaDan

Delta,

You may want to take a look at this post from an older thread. Mrothwell came from the SLXi "Classic" to a VTX on the Cut Diamond hull & would be one of the most informed opinions out there in terms of comparison with the old SLXi. Now, by most accounts the newer SLXi doesn't ski as well as the Classic, so I think that you should be able to draw some good conclusions.

It took a little looking, but here's his original thread about skiing behind it: LINK.

What line length and speed do you slalom at? That's probably one of the most important questions to consider if you are looking at boats besides a pure slalom machine.

The older SSLXIs are great at 34mph, 15off-38off, almost as good as the response.

mrothwell's post is a great one, but you'll note he's doing a comparison at 60' of rope (15off) only on the VTX. I haven't seen any feedback on the VTX at shorter line lengths. Everything thing I've heard about the 05 SSLXI slalom wake is Vomit.gif

Edited by Addictedto6