Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken T Fitting How to remove.....

Ok everything was going great today on the winterization, I was down to removing one last spark plug, the one in the middle near the T fitting below the manifold, I got it loose and then as I was removing the socket.I just moved the hose a little bit and the hose nipple snaped right off and to make matters worse I thought no big deal I will just remove the broken one and replace it.. Wrong those sucker are on there. just when I thought it was comming off..... ya you guessed it "Snap" leaving the threads still in the Manifold. So I would assume I now have to take off the manifold to get that plastic pipe thread out. Any other Ideas on removing it without taking off the manifold?? Yahoo.gif

Ok everything was going great today on the winterization, I was down to removing one last spark plug, the one in the middle near the T fitting below the manifold, I got it loose and then as I was removing the socket.I just moved the hose a little bit and the hose nipple snaped right off and to make matters worse I thought no big deal I will just remove the broken one and replace it.. Wrong those sucker are on there. just when I thought it was comming off..... ya you guessed it "Snap" leaving the threads still in the Manifold. So I would assume I now have to take off the manifold to get that plastic pipe thread out. Any other Ideas on removing it without taking off the manifold?? Yahoo.gif

Easy out?

Vice grips, jigsaw blade cut into three pieces and pop them out. (careful not to cut into the threads in the manifold)

Edited by Boat Rocks

I've had the same problem... almost. You are going to want to remove the manifold it takes 5 minutes and it's very easy, just a few bolts. If you take it off it makes working on it 10x easier, but when you put it back on be sure to use some RTV.

I've had the same problem... almost. You are going to want to remove the manifold it takes 5 minutes and it's very easy, just a few bolts. If you take it off it makes working on it 10x easier, but when you put it back on be sure to use some RTV.

Do they use a regular gasket or just the RTV

they used a gasket but the one I pulled out was in bad shape so I just used RTV instead of buying a new gasket

It happens a lot when changing plugs with those new manifolds.

The guys in the shop made a tool to remove the broken fitting easier. The took a socket (not sure which size) took a cutting wheel and cut slits into the socket. The sharp slits grab onto the fitting and thread it out with a ratchet.

We have that fitting in stock if you can't find a replacement local: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1454

If you pull the manifold off, use a high temperature RTV silicone, this is what Indmar recommends: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1559

It's not too hard to get out so i would try to extract it first before you pull the manifold.

Hope it comes out easy for you!

-Paul

they used a gasket but the one I pulled out was in bad shape so I just used RTV instead of buying a new gasket

Indmar doesn't use a gasket on the exhaust manifolds? In 2007 they started using a gasket with ETX CAT manifolds but before that it's been high temp RTV silicone only.

-Paul

It happens a lot when changing plugs with those new manifolds.

The guys in the shop made a tool to remove the broken fitting easier. The took a socket (not sure which size) took a cutting wheel and cut slits into the socket. The sharp slits grab onto the fitting and thread it out with a ratchet.

We have that fitting in stock if you can't find a replacement local: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1454

If you pull the manifold off, use a high temperature RTV silicone, this is what Indmar recommends: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1559

It's not too hard to get out so i would try to extract it first before you pull the manifold.

Hope it comes out easy for you!

-Paul

I will call Tomorrow for that fitting, Thank's What service!!

VLX04

Here are some pictures of the custom "Steve Tool" (patent pending) he made to get those fittings out.

It is a 1/2 Socket and he had to taper the end so it wedged in there. He cut vertical slits in it with a cutting wheel so it bit into the plastic.

Here are few pictures, hope this helps!

post-4023-1256667905_thumb.jpg

post-4023-1256667915_thumb.jpg

Cheers

-Paul

Has anyone removed one of those fittings? And if you did any tricks without breaking it.....

The guys use a large crescent wrench which grabs the whole fitting to spin it horizontal so they can change those middle spark plugs easier.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks, I will try and make one of those,.. I wonder if that will void the Craftsmen life time warranty??

Your welcome, she's a ugly tool but she gets the job done.

It probably wouldn't void the Craftsman warranty!

Paul

Thanks, I will try and make one of those,.. I wonder if that will void the Craftsmen life time warranty??

Your welcome, she's a ugly tool but she gets the job done.

It probably wouldn't void the Craftsman warranty!

Paul

I bet it wouldn't! I have taken a lot of abused or "modified to failure" tools back and they never say a word! Gotta love it. Thumbup.gif

If you can't find an easy-out the correct size, I've used the tapered end of a flat file with success. They're hardened steel and with the sharp edges it will grip the broken piece after tapping it in with a hammer. Just use a crescent wrench to turn the file / broken piece.

Thought I would mention that I use a swivel plug socket and an extension......I pulled the hose off but does not require removing the fitting.

here

Edited by ruffdawg
Has anyone removed one of those fittings? And if you did any tricks without breaking it.....

Did you get it out?

-Paul

Not yet worked on yard today then headed down to Vegas...Sema show!