Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cabin Structural Walls

Slurpee

Howdy. I've been contemplating a bunch of fiberglass projects this summer and it came up that the wife would like for the cabin to have complete wrap around seating. Right now the rear seats terminate into the starboard wall of the boat without any starboard seats behind the driver.

I was pulling the carpet back a bit to see what the walls are made of that support the seats this morning and didn't know what to make of it. They walls on my boat look like 1" thick sturdy white foam board. It definitely isn't cuz the stuff is as stout as OSB. It really doesn't look like fiberglass either.

What is it?

Howdy. I've been contemplating a bunch of fiberglass projects this summer and it came up that the wife would like for the cabin to have complete wrap around seating. Right now the rear seats terminate into the starboard wall of the boat without any starboard seats behind the driver.

I was pulling the carpet back a bit to see what the walls are made of that support the seats this morning and didn't know what to make of it. They walls on my boat look like 1" thick sturdy white foam board. It definitely isn't cuz the stuff is as stout as OSB. It really doesn't look like fiberglass either.

What is it?

As far as i know it should be a ABS sheet plastic (black in color right?) then it's wrapped with carpet. Should be the same stuff used as your seat bases.

-Paul

Nope. It's white and wrapped in carpet. 1" thick. Softer than ABS plastic. The seat bases are about 1/2" thick and white as well. The rear back-rest base is black ABS plastic, but that's it in the boat. Predominantly throughout is this white material. I'd swear it was OSB if I didn't know for a fact that it's some kind of artificial material. It dings like OSB if you hit it with a screw driver for instance so it's pretty soft, but lighter weight than OSB.

Nope. It's white and wrapped in carpet. 1" thick. Softer than ABS plastic. The seat bases are about 1/2" thick and white as well. The rear back-rest base is black ABS plastic, but that's it in the boat. Predominantly throughout is this white material. I'd swear it was OSB if I didn't know for a fact that it's some kind of artificial material. It dings like OSB if you hit it with a screw driver for instance so it's pretty soft, but lighter weight than OSB.

Weird, could you post a picture? I think it's starboard plastic. http://www.totalplastics.com/products/253

-Paul

You can get smaller pieces of HDPE here for less money. Regardless of what is in the boat now, I imagine this stuff would be good for what your doing.

Another option would be to copy one of those Supra coolers with the upholstered lid. Match it to the rest of your interior & you have a huge, removeable cooler with seating on top that matches your boat.

Weird, could you post a picture? I think it's starboard plastic. http://www.totalplastics.com/products/253

-Paul

That's the stuff! Interesting. I like the cooler idea. I bet I can find an insulated core and build a seat around it with a cushion top.

Thanks!

-Paul

That's the stuff! Interesting. I like the cooler idea. I bet I can find an insulated core and build a seat around it with a cushion top.

Thanks!

The cooler is a good idea, don't get one that is too wide. When you lift the cushioned top to the cushioned seat back, the cooler might not open all the way.

-Paul

Thanks!

You could just do a built in cooler like Malibu does? I'm sure Bake's can buy the cooler insert from Malibu and I all ready stock the drain plug fitting

Like this: post-4023-1256500434_thumb.jpg

-Paul

Edited by Bake's Marine

-Paul

Thanks!

damn that's a small cooler, i like the one in my lsv it's huge couple or four cases plus ice

You could just do a built in cooler like Malibu does? I'm sure Bake's can buy the cooler insert from Malibu and I all ready stock the drain plug fitting

Like this: post-4023-1256500434_thumb.jpg

-Paul

When we had a 01 SSVLX we just put a fully stocked cooler in that space and then used the cooler as a seat. The removable cooler could hold a whole lot more than the stock integrated cooler in my 06VLX and I could stock it in the house.

Keep us posted on your mod if you pursue it.