Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Scrolling down the threads ?

LiQUiDSX

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• WakingMeHappy

• Ndawg12

• NorCaliBu

Even newer word: Awesomelicious. My 10 y/o's current word. I hate it.

This topic makes me want to beat my head on my desk while smiling Crazy.gif Ever had that feeling??!!

Yes I have, 13 times.

(a cheap way to get my 200th post)

Is there any reason my posts would have dropped in the last few days? When I made this post - I was at 200. When I logged on today, I was at 196 Dontknow.gif

Oh... 14

Edited by RedOwl

Is there any reason my posts would have dropped in the last few days? When I made this post - I was at 200. When I logged on today, I was at 196 Dontknow.gif

Oh... 16

I think that only happens if a topic you have posts in is deleted. Not sure though...

Oh... 16

I think that only happens if a topic you have posts in is deleted. Not sure though...

I think you are being pulled into a cyber vaccum. There is no escape. If you see a 9/16 box end wrench on your way thru the vortex grab it for me and chuck it back.

Maybe more of an explanation is needed.

Post counts don't actually get affected until I run a task that recounts & rebuilds all post data. If you have deleted any of your posts, or if I have been pruning topics & posts, then you won't see changes in the counts until I run that task (which I did the other night). Normally you won't see a big difference (unless you are a habitual post deleter :)), but there is an issue that is exacerbating the problem. About a year ago we had a bug in the software cause a data loss that was significant. That combined with a situation wherein I didn't have a backup for a specific time period, it created a perfect storm in that the data was unrecoverable. So, I've been slowly trying to weed out those posts/topics that were affected. Most either 1) have been replicated many times over in terms of content & as such I am able to just delete the threads, 2) I have tried to find a way to salvage the data, or 3) weren't important enough to bother trying to salvage. If it falls under 1 or 3, it gets deleted.

Now keep in mind, these are old posts/threads from the first year or so of the board. I've narrowed the time frame to roughly the first 14 months of the life of the board & it affects attachments to posts. That's why occasionally you'll see an old post with an attachment that throws a board error, & those are the things that I'm trying to clean up.

Maybe more of an explanation is needed.

Post counts don't actually get affected until I run a task that recounts & rebuilds all post data. If you have deleted any of your posts, or if I have been pruning topics & posts, then you won't see changes in the counts until I run that task (which I did the other night). Normally you won't see a big difference (unless you are a habitual post deleter :)), but there is an issue that is exacerbating the problem. About a year ago we had a bug in the software cause a data loss that was significant. That combined with a situation wherein I didn't have a backup for a specific time period, it created a perfect storm in that the data was unrecoverable. So, I've been slowly trying to weed out those posts/topics that were affected. Most either 1) have been replicated many times over in terms of content & as such I am able to just delete the threads, 2) I have tried to find a way to salvage the data, or 3) weren't important enough to bother trying to salvage. If it falls under 1 or 3, it gets deleted.

Now keep in mind, these are old posts/threads from the first year or so of the board. I've narrowed the time frame to roughly the first 14 months of the life of the board & it affects attachments to posts. That's why occasionally you'll see an old post with an attachment that throws a board error, & those are the things that I'm trying to clean up.

You forgot something.

Maybe more of an explanation is needed...

Thank you for the detailed explanation - I would imagine most of my posts have fallen into category 3... I'm lucky my number of posts isn't down in the single digits :)

:blush:

Edited by RedOwl
I think you are being pulled into a cyber vaccum. There is no escape. If you see a 9/16 box end wrench on your way thru the vortex grab it for me and chuck it back.

I didn't see a 9/16 box end wrench, but I did manage to find several gas caps that seem to have gone astray.

• 1 month later...