Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

To Fog Or Not To Fog...... That is the Question??

:unsure: Ok I know this subject has been debated for quite some time, I have always fogged my 1996 Sanger, Carbureted,, with no problems at all, But since I have the new bu, I don't want to screw up, After reading many post and asking a half dozen Malibu dealers I'm still not sure if fogging the engine is the best. I hear Hydraulic lock and other issues, So what do you guys think..." To Fog or Not To Fog" That is the Question. Lets hear how many do or don't and which method. I know it's different with CATS,,,,,

I recently visited my dealer and asked what they use. They use a combination fuel stabilizer with fogging oil in it. I asked if they use it on the new monsoons with CATS and everything and they said they do. I'm a little leary so I ask if anyone else is familiar with the product.

a quick search found this topic discussed here:

Fogging

here:

fogging

here:

winterize & Fogging

and others, the bottom line is fogging is recommended by the manufacturer. you do not have cats so just follow the instructions for fogging thru the throttle body as described in the Indmar Manual Section 7, Storage and Winter Lay-up as partially shown here:

So forget the spark plug holes, Does the fogging oil get to the cylinders enough to coat them through the intake??

The reason you want to fog through the intake is to coat the intake and valves.

The reason you want to fog into the cylinders, directly, (remove plugs and fog) is to specifically coat the cylinder walls, and piston rings.

The reason you want to fog through the intake is to coat the intake and valves.

The reason you want to fog into the cylinders, directly, (remove plugs and fog) is to specifically coat the cylinder walls, and piston rings.

Thats what I thought, But I called My local Malibu dealer today and they don't do either.. I can see if you just pored a ton of that fogging oil down the cylindes you could create a problem, but I allways just squirted a little and turned the engine over a few times on my old sanger, it lasted over 800 hr's and still going. Again ask 10 differant people and get quite a few different answers, So Fogging it is, Thanks for all the advice, I really have learned a lot from these forums!!! Thumbup.gif

In my last post on this subject I mentioned the method I use to fog which is a squirt can of engine oil into the plug holes. I won't get into the details of the fogging procedure as that's not what this post is about. I've also used the fogging oil spray into the carb/intake while running. I've used both methods and believe in fogging. There's not much risk in hydro-lock as long as you use some sense.

Last year I didn't fog my motor and here's why. I used to keep my boat in an RV/boat storage yard several miles from where I lived. I also used to live in Hillsboro, OR four years ago. When I lived there I fogged religiously. I now live in Arizona and keep my boat in my own back yard. Not much winter to speak of here and the climate is pretty dry. If you have the time to run your boat for a few minutes every 2 - 3 weeks and you don't mind doing so,.... there's no need to fog. But if your boat is stored somewhere where it's inconvenient to get to, it's outside in the weather and you don't live in a dry climate,..... I would definitely fog.

I live in TN. I will be keeping my boat in the garage over the winter where it will probably not get much below 50 degrees. I might be able to get the boat out once in a while and run it on some of the unseasonably warm days we typically get. Fog or no?

I live in TN. I will be keeping my boat in the garage over the winter where it will probably not get much below 50 degrees. I might be able to get the boat out once in a while and run it on some of the unseasonably warm days we typically get. Fog or no?

Seems I've read that if you're going to be running the engine monthly, no need to fog. But, any time

you are going to put her up for over 30 days, you should. I can't explain what is magical about the

number 30, though. Just a rule of thumb.

If I was keeping my boat inside as you describe in a dry place I would not worry to much about it. But,.... you can never go wrong by fogging,... that is if done correctly. If it makes you feel better then do it!