Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moving a tandem trailer

twiggy

Just thought I would let people know that have a tandem trailer that struggle to move them. I ran on to hydraulic dollies at Habour Freight. They run $129.00 a pair. You put them under each wheel, pump them up and the boat moves around with basically one person. Gone are the days on trying to man handle the boat.

Just thought I would let people know that have a tandem trailer that struggle to move them. I ran on to hydraulic dollies at Habour Freight. They run $129.00 a pair. You put them under each wheel, pump them up and the boat moves around with basically one person. Gone are the days on trying to man handle the boat.

Yup, my cousin has a set of those for his trailer. Makes it easy to move with the boat on it in the garage.

Would you need one dolly per wheel (2 sets = 4 dollies) or can you get away with one set (one dolly per side)?

Would you need one dolly per wheel (2 sets = 4 dollies) or can you get away with one set (one dolly per side)?

Yeah Twiggy, how about a link to your, I mean the Harbor Freight website Whistling.gif

You will need 4 (2 sets). Harbor Freight does have the best price by far. I bought two sets (4 altogether) and they do work very well. I was very happy with the ones I bought from HF.

Has anyone tried an electric pusher like the Power Caster? Seems very expensive, but maybe there are some used around?

http://www.powercaster.com

I want to put my VLX with a tandem trailer diagonal in a two car garage for the off-season. Don't know if I need something like that or will these Harbor Freight dollies allow me to safely push 3000 lbs in a level garage? Getting it backed into the corner and then swinging the front in with the hitch folded to just barely fit.

If you're buying from Harbor Fright, be sure to double your order. What ever you buy will break within a week of using it. It's scarry how shoddy some of their tools and equipment are. I'd never buy anything there.

I am usually skeptical of Harbor Freight quality as well. However, i went to the local HF store and these are pretty durable. Besides that, i figure, the boat will only use them a couple of times a year.

What i did notice though, was that it still took 2 of us to move the boat primarily because the caster on the front trailer jack did not want to turn. Plus, the boat is still pretty heavy.

post-9530-1256332954_thumb.jpg

post-9530-1256332992_thumb.jpg

I believe this is the product mentioned by twiggy.

Those do look slick, now I just a tool to make the divider between my garage doors temporarily disappear. Anyone?? Dontknow.gif

Chainsaw??? Whistling.gif

Got one, I can make it disappear but I don't know what button to push to make it reappear!! :)

I have been using a pair of the HF hyd dollies for about 2 years. One does leak a little but over all, it has saved a ton of labor moving the boat. I have to swing it over in my 2 car part of the garage and with those dollies, it swings sideways easier that it will roll. If you have the usual joints in your floor, it works nice if you drop a 1/4"-3/8" rod in the joint so the wheels don't drop in to deep and get stuck.

It's a one person job now to pull it out and hook it up.

I believe this is the product mentioned by twiggy.

Those do look slick, now I just a tool to make the divider between my garage doors temporarily disappear. Anyone?? Dontknow.gif

Chainsaw??? Whistling.gif

Got one, I can make it disappear but I don't know what button to push to make it reappear!! :)

Big hammer, couple of 2 x 4s and duct tape.

Edited by Baddog
On a tandem, couldn't you get by with just one pair? The non dollied wheels should roll just fine.

That is all I use. One set on the front axle.