Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

winter storage of boat ??

speedyalex

Does anyone store there boat/trailer on jacks during the winter off season?? It seems with several months of nonuse, it would make sense to relieve the weight on the tires by simply storing boat/trailer on support jacks. Can this be bad for the tires or the trailer?? I did this for the first time last year and had a tire go bad at the end of the summer. However, could have been because the tires are 8 years old.

Does anyone store there boat/trailer on jacks during the winter off season?? It seems with several months of nonuse, it would make sense to relieve the weight on the tires by simply storing boat/trailer on support jacks. Can this be bad for the tires or the trailer?? I did this for the first time last year and had a tire go bad at the end of the summer. However, could have been because the tires are 8 years old.

I suspect it is because of the age of the tire. I have heard of people putting their trailers on jack stands over winter. I've also heard of people adding a couple more pounds of pressure to the tires to prevent flat spots.

I moved to sweden for a year. A month before leaving I bought a Mercedes. I called Diamler Chrysler and asked if I should put it on blocks. They said that there is no need to put it on blocks with steel belted tires. I let it sit for 12 months on the tires and had no problems with a flat spot... So I never block the malibu trailer

Just my $.02

Why not just jack up the tires 2 or 3 times during the winter and rotate them. I have heard of others doing that but I have not. With two boats and a utility trailer I haven't had any flat spot issues.

I lived in Minnesota for many years and had a boat I trailered that I stored in my garage. I put down 1x12x3 boards on the cement floor and drove the trailer up on the boards. Our non-boating season was eight to ten months sometimes. About once every six weeks or so I would jack up the trailer and rotate the tires. The boards kept the tires off of the cold cement. Never had flat spots.

I lived in Minnesota for many years and had a boat I trailered that I stored in my garage. I put down 1x12x3 boards on the cement floor and drove the trailer up on the boards. Our non-boating season was eight to ten months sometimes. About once every six weeks or so I would jack up the trailer and rotate the tires. The boards kept the tires off of the cold cement. Never had flat spots.

Don't mean to be flippant, but why would the tires care if they are on a cold concrete floor or cold wood floor? Doesn't seem like anything of value is being gained.