Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Modification Loud/Quiet

derkconnor

Has anyone used a system like muffler electric cut outs? So when you are surfing/wake boarding it is nice and quiet using the stock exhaust system, but then flip a switch and have the the muffler loud and not baffled into the water? Just looking to heard the rumble of the 8.1L when chilling out.

Has anyone used a system like muffler electric cut outs? So when you are surfing/wake boarding it is nice and quiet using the stock exhaust system, but then flip a switch and have the the muffler loud and not baffled into the water? Just looking to heard the rumble of the 8.1L when chilling out.

It's called a captains call exhaust systems made by corsa exhaust. They have them on centurions as an option as well as wakecraft boats. This will require you to cut holes in your fiberglass for the installation. I would't want to do that and I would think that your boat is loud enough as it is but to each his own.

Edited by 06vlx

Newb Question here but, What else is needed with this install? just 2 Y pipes and some wiring? Do you need to cut new holes so it can redirect the exhaust out the side?

Edited by derkconnor
Newb Question here but, What else is needed with this install? just 2 Y pipes and some wiring? Do you need to cut new holes so it can redirect the exhaust out the side?

Just quickly off the top of my head I'm guessing some exhaust hose, wiring, switch to open close, sideswipe tips, cutting holes in the sides of the boat. I've never installed one but this would be my guess at the minimum requirements.

Don't do it Cry.gif

Kind of cool on go fast boat but not a Bu.

IMO, that's too much cutting into the hull. Those thru-hull exhaust boats are designed that way, and the fibeglass and structure is built to support it. Not so on the Bu, you run the risk of impairing the structural integrity of your hull. I love hearing that rumble watching boats go out from the pier in St. Joseph, MI but it's not worth the risk of wrecking your hull. Which you probably wouldn't know until you took some heavy chop or crossed a big wake and saw the spider cracking after you pulled it from the water.

if your looking for more of a rumble you could pull the mufflers and run just exhaust hose.

you won't be able to quiet it back down at the flip of a switch though.

friends of ours have a 2000 crownline with the captains call exhaust and it is mainly run

through the mufflers. his wife complains its to loud. just something to think about.

I like the sound of the engines too but only on the big waters. I live on a small lake and when I hear it at home it is annoying. Just think about your neighbors on the lake you use. Not everyone wants to hear your boat. Just my 2c.

You might check first before doing this. Modified boat exhaust is illegal in my state.

You might check first before doing this. Modified boat exhaust is illegal in my state.

I think there's a certain dB level in MI that makes it illegal.

Is there a way of modifying the muffler tips so they don't baffle the exhaust into the water? Like a sleeve that would go over the exhaust pipe to bring it above the water line? The sleeve would be removable.

If you had room you could just put another "Y" connector after the muffler and tap back into the original exhaust hose. Basically the cut out would just bypass the muffler. If there's room that would be the way to fly. No permanent change to the boat and zero change to the hull. Thumbup.gif

If you had room you could just put another "Y" connector after the muffler and tap back into the original exhaust hose. Basically the cut out would just bypass the muffler. If there's room that would be the way to fly. No permanent change to the boat and zero change to the hull. Thumbup.gif

Are you talking about outside the boat? where the muffler tips end?

Be careful how far you take this "engineering" project. Pretty soon you'll have a boat that looks like a light blue van. Biggrin.gif

No - inside the boat. Just route the "bypass" alongside your existing muffler. That's what I would do. Modifying the hull wouldn't be a good idea IMO. Those are big holes!

Rode in Centurion with this exhaust. I remember thinking this is way, way too loud and I have a street car with 4" exhaust from the headers back.

Edited by johnsvt

Be careful how far you take this "engineering" project. Pretty soon you'll have a boat that looks like a light blue van. Biggrin.gif

Yup, like this one

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....st&p=343958

Yup, like this one

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....st&p=343958

ROFL.gif lol Very sexy

Putting a loud exhaust on a wakeboard or ski boat would be kind of like the guy who puts a big fart can on their Honda Civic, loud but still not fast. I would expect a loud exhaust on a go fast boat but still it is a nuisance either way. But, maybe you could amplify your exhaust and play through your stereo. :lol: