Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Outdoor winter boat storage

amarfanhar

I'm going to be storing my boat outdoor this winter. I'm curious to know how others cover and store their boat for the winter. I just bought a new sunbrella cover that covers my teak deck and all of the dark paint to protect it from oxidizing. The new cover is almost completely waterproof.

I just bought a 12 by 20 tarp $30 at Lowes that I'm going to throw over the boat with the new cover on it. Any recomendations? I know I could shrink wrap it but its about 10 times the cost of the tarp.

Just keep it covered good and tight. Every few weeks during the winter (on sunny days) I open the cover to air it out in case moisture gets in. As for the teak platform, I bring it inside for the winter.

If you cover your cover with a tarp expect a fair amount of mold anbd mildew in the spring inside your boat. I spend the bucks and get it shrinkwrapped, with a vent and it always comes out sparkling in the spring. Liekwise i remove the platform and store in my basement.

Go to your local boat shop and ask them for a few shrink wrap vents. Cut your tarp very carefully and use some high rent duct tape to install the vents. This is as good as shrink wrap, way cheaper, and re-useable. I did this on my I/O for years and it worked great. I suspect a 12x20 tarp might be a little small though... Good Luck

Another question from a newbie here. Mine will be outdoors also but under a covered roof. Do you need to take the boat out every other month or something and move the trailer some to prevent tire warping? I've had small pwc trailers that I have left out before and come spring, sometimes a tire would be warped due to sitting all winter in the same place. Thanks.

You need to keep that secondary tarp up, off the vinyl as much as possible as stated for mildew.

This is my set up.

That looks like the right set-up. Mine is indoors, but if it were outside that's how I'd do it. Keep the elements off that expensive cover as much as possible.

I also like the painted lines where the tires go. Tease2.gif

I had to park My boat outside for a couple of months when I was between selling and purchasing a Home,

I used the factory cover then folded my tower down and put a tarp over the entire thing leaving a nice big air gap in between.

Another question from a newbie here. Mine will be outdoors also but under a covered roof. Do you need to take the boat out every other month or something and move the trailer some to prevent tire warping? I've had small pwc trailers that I have left out before and come spring, sometimes a tire would be warped due to sitting all winter in the same place. Thanks.

Wouldn't hurt to move it once in a while. In the past I have actually jacked the trailer up onto blocks, removed my tires and put them in the garage. Good theft deterrent too...ha.

I too store mine outside under a carport. I also use a 20x40 blue tarp from Walmart and also put the regular cover on as well(I like the idea for vent holes, I'll try that this year). I also take off the teak platform ans store it indoors and re-do it over the winter.

Only if your using bias ply tires. Radials will have a flat spot for a block or so & then their round again.

Thanks to all. I think I'll add a dehumidifier.

I'd be surprised if a dehumidifier was needed at all in SLC because the air is so dry. I put some damprids in mine and they don't even clump together during the winter.