Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

cracked block / -2 early in the year

Two weeks ago the temps plunged to 2 below zero about two months early. We had not winterized our 98 Response LX yet and were not able to get to the lake to keep it warm. Last weekend we did get to the lake and began our winterization process by adding a fuel additive and taking the boat for a ride to ensure the protected fuel was in the injection system. The engine was running a little rough so we flipped the lid to take a look. What we saw was depressing. White foamy oil(hydrated oil I suspect) was being spit up from what appeared to be a location under the distributor.

I am assuming that we cracked the block or something and will need major repair before the water gets nice again next spring. The location of the spitting seems a bit strange, but I am assuming the cracked block because I am not real familiar with marinized engines. Is there a chance that we froze and broke something else that will not be quite a difficult and expensive to fix???

Thanks

Nope, I admire your hope though. What you saw is the creamy milkshake of death. I saw it once after my dad winterized his first boat for the first time! I can still hear his disappointment in the guy who "showed him how to do it" 20 years later. Apparently there are some instances when it can be patched somehow, but you're likely in for some expense. The good news is you will probably soon have a new motor which can be as big as you like! My dad replaced his 305 with a 350 after the block cracked.

Nope, I admire your hope though. What you saw is the creamy milkshake of death. I saw it once after my dad winterized his first boat for the first time! I can still hear his disappointment in the guy who "showed him how to do it" 20 years later. Apparently there are some instances when it can be patched somehow, but you're likely in for some expense. The good news is you will probably soon have a new motor which can be as big as you like! My dad replaced his 305 with a 350 after the block cracked.

What did your dad do wrong?

Yep they are right you block is broke and cannot be fixed unless it is below the head (or deck) surface of the block. I would diffidently check manifolds also it is possibly to only broken the them and not the block Dontknow.gif but it worth checking. I can help with parts if needed I would sell them at 10 over cost plus freight and answer any ?'S you might have.

Jerrret

Just for future reference, if you know the temp is going to drop to -2, you HAVE to get to your boat and drain the block and the manifolds to avoid damage. I have gotten out of bed at 2am and driven to the lake to drain the block. Couldn't sleep until I did.

Two weeks ago the temps plunged to 2 below zero about two months early. We had not winterized our 98 Response LX yet and were not able to get to the lake to keep it warm. Last weekend we did get to the lake and began our winterization process by adding a fuel additive and taking the boat for a ride to ensure the protected fuel was in the injection system. The engine was running a little rough so we flipped the lid to take a look. What we saw was depressing. White foamy oil(hydrated oil I suspect) was being spit up from what appeared to be a location under the distributor.

I am assuming that we cracked the block or something and will need major repair before the water gets nice again next spring. The location of the spitting seems a bit strange, but I am assuming the cracked block because I am not real familiar with marinized engines. Is there a chance that we froze and broke something else that will not be quite a difficult and expensive to fix???

Thanks

I like to look at things with the glass half full, "It's an opportunity to upgrade"

Thanks

I like to look at things with the glass half full, "It's an opportunity to upgrade"

can you say zz4?

What did your dad do wrong?

I finally had this discussionwith my dad a couple of weeks ago now that I understand something about the process. We were working on mine and he told me the guy helped him drain the water pump and then the manifolds and said he was done. They did nothing to drain the block. He says he just should have known better and looked into it further. Oh well, expensive lesson learned. :Doh:

Thanks

I like that quote!!

-Paul

Thanks

That's just bad luck, sorry you have to go thru the expense. Check your insurance policy, most marine specific insurance companies cover freeze damage. Other companies only consider it as improper maintenance.

If you have EFI don't change to anything different, it's a can of worms you don't want to open. Replace with a marine long block (yes there is a big difference) so you can enjoy that Response again.

Wish you the best of luck

-Paul