Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damaged Boat

MUpde

Man, you guys don't understand cookies! The idea is that if she does something wrong (like in this case), not only do you not give her a hard time for it, you make her feel better by saying things like "it can be fixed & nobody was hurt" or "it could have just as easily happened to me" or whatever (maybe it's a small white lie, but that's not the point). Now, the payoff is that when you screw up down the road, hopefully she remembers what a nice guy you were about that & gives you the same break. That is a cookie, & those are the kinds of things that make a marriage work. :)

If you still don't get it, please click

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC-DKjkxbv0

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• Bobby Light

• MUpde

• Lance B. Johnson

Man, you guys don't understand cookies! The idea is that if she does something wrong (like in this case), not only do you not give her a hard time for it, you make her feel better by saying things like "it can be fixed & nobody was hurt" or "it could have just as easily happened to me" or whatever (maybe it's a small white lie, but that's not the point). Now, the payoff is that when you screw up down the road, hopefully she remembers what a nice guy you were about that & gives you the same break. That is a cookie, & those are the kinds of things that make a marriage work. :)

Oh I get it.........since everything is my fault anyway no cookies get passed around. I am starting to get it I think! Biggrin.gif

$6500.00? Shocking.gif Wow.

Comparing it to the repair of below the waterline damage is apples and oranges. Likely the 01 Response was white below the waterline? Easier to color match and less obvious if it is perfect. With the damage to the transom they might be figuring on pulling the motor to gain better access to the area for repairs. Dontknow.gif That's the only reason I could see it being that high.

I'm taking notes Wakegirl. If I knew this 15 years ago my life would be so much easier right now.

This is how things work in my world...wife messes up, I blow up, I pay for it for the next 15+ years. Whistling.gif

Obviously, I'm not liking the way I do things.

How do you get the payments to stop at 15 years?

I'm taking notes Wakegirl. If I knew this 15 years ago my life would be so much easier right now.

This is how things work in my world...wife messes up, I blow up, I pay for it for the next 15+ years. Whistling.gif

Obviously, I'm not liking the way I do things.

How do you get the payments to stop at 15 years?

Actually, payments don't stop after 15 years, it just gets reduced. :lol:

Comparing it to the repair of below the waterline damage is apples and oranges. Likely the 01 Response was white below the waterline? Easier to color match and less obvious if it is perfect. With the damage to the transom they might be figuring on pulling the motor to gain better access to the area for repairs. Dontknow.gif That's the only reason I could see it being that high.

I thought the damage was on the side of the boat not the transom?

The damage was on the side. It was the right side; rear corner. Right under the fuel fill under the rub rail.

The damage was on the side. It was the right side; rear corner. Right under the fuel fill under the rub rail.

:Doh: It's hard to get good help these days, eh? :lol:

I guess I didn't look at the pic's too closely (too painful to look at closely). But the reasoning is still sound. A lot more disassembly required as compared to a prop shred on a DD.

:Doh: It's hard to get good help these days, eh? :lol:

I guess I didn't look at the pic's too closely (too painful to look at closely). But the reasoning is still sound. A lot more disassembly required as compared to a prop shred on a DD.

Thanks for reiterating my point. I think we are saying the same thing.

When the prop let go on my Response there was a LOT of damage, bent shaft, damaged strut, damage to the rudder , the HDF Box (Correct spelling ??) delaminated from the floor, not to mention the fact that the "pad" above the rudder and the strut felt like wet cardboard and had to be completely re-fiberglassed.....and the genlleman that did the job matched the gel color to perfection....All I am saying is, and I apologize if I have not read this entire post, is at least get a couple of quotes, god forbid you have to use your insurance again in the future and need to run another $6500 or more claim, your insurance company may not be to happy about continuing to insure you........I know for a fact because it happened to me with just my one claim

again just my 2 cents......and my experience with my insurance company....good luck

When the prop let go on my Response there was a LOT of damage, bent shaft, damaged strut, damage to the rudder , the HDF Box (Correct spelling ??) delaminated from the floor, not to mention the fact that the "pad" above the rudder and the strut felt like wet cardboard and had to be completely re-fiberglassed.....and the genlleman that did the job matched the gel color to perfection....All I am saying is, and I apologize if I have not read this entire post, is at least get a couple of quotes, god forbid you have to use your insurance again in the future and need to run another $6500 or more claim, your insurance company may not be to happy about continuing to insure you........I know for a fact because it happened to me with just my one claim

again just my 2 cents......and my experience with my insurance company....good luck

I can easily see how prop damage would add up to far more than reglassing and gel work. $6,500 sounds very high to me. I am personally aware of a boat which, in a storm, started pounding some pilings and royally screwed up essentially the entire side (port). All that work was far under $6,500. With a prop explosion you've got to replace all that hardware, which is close to $1,000 right there, depending on your relationship to the dealer, not to mention a lot more labor in replacing all. As to insurance, thats what its for. They never felt bad accepting your premiums, you shouldn't feel bad making a claim, and you expecially shouldn't feel bad if they drop you. There are hundreds of others that will gladly take your money.

It's hard to tell the extent of the damage from the one pic I saw, my guess though is that the 6500 is a pretty accurate quote. If the rubrail is not damaged (doesnt need to be replaced) looks like you need a new decal, fiberglass and gelcoat so $750-$1000 parts and another 40-60 hours of labor.

from what I see

-remove rub rail

-remove inside combing panels, seats, seat bases, gas tanks, trailer guide poles or anything else that might be in the way.

-remove decal

-mask off non damaged of boat with plastic wrap

-remove damaged section

-reglass entire and surrounding damaged area

-reshape body contours (this is going to take a while to get right)

-spray gel coat (looks like one color, but depending on damage may be two)

-wet sand

-buff

-reinstall combing panels, seats, gas tanks, etc.

-reinstall rub rail

-replace decal

Sad to see that, but that isn't that bad compared to what happened to my Jetski... ripped the entire tow hook and surrounding fiberglass out from the back Whistling.gif

Do you have any pics of the repair yet? would love to see some before and after shots.

Not yet. Being the end of the season, the fiberglass guy at my dealer is about a month backed up. I for sure will post "after" pics. It's kind of weird having my entire driveway to park in. I miss her!!!