Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damaged Boat

MUpde

So my boat has it's first injury.

Take a look:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...8_1195401_n.jpg

My wife was backing out of a dock and as she turned she blipped the throttle for some reason and kicked the tail end of the boat into the end of the dock.

Fixable? How much?

You might be able to see all the pics here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7169...p;id=1080235378

I'm just glad no one was hurt!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• Bobby Light

• MUpde

• Lance B. Johnson

Take a look:

My wife was backing out of a dock and as she turned she blipped the throttle for some reason and kicked the tail end of the boat into the end of the dock.

Fixable? How much?

Fixable yes, inexpensive NO. Hope you have insurance. My guess on that fix is at least $2,500.

Take a look:

Fixable? How much?

Fixable yes, inexpensive NO. Hope you have insurance. My guess on that fix is at least $2,500.

I cant reply about the expense of the repair.........but I will say I am so sorry that happened! Must have made you sick.

Repeat after me, "It wasn't your fault at all dear!". That needs to be an automatic response. :). And no it's never a 'funny story'.

Bet your insurance will eat that. I was thinking more like 3k. This makes me wonder what MY deductible is.

That sucks man, hopefully it doesn't turn into a headache. The throttle is really touchy isn't it? Seems like our boat is either go or stop. Good luck with the repair.

Repeat after me, "It wasn't your fault at all dear!". That needs to be an automatic response. :). And no it's never a 'funny story'.

Bet your insurance will eat that. I was thinking more like 3k. This makes me wonder what MY deductible is.

I swear my first response was "Was anybody hurt." She thought I was gonna be PISSED!! No way. Accidents happen. I was at work when it happened, and when I got back to the lake she had a nice cold Captain Morgan and Dr. Pepper waiting for me. She was more upset than I was. THAT was the funny part.

My deductable is $500. I called them the next day to let them know. It's at the dealer now being fixed. They deal with this kind of thing all the time and have worked a bunch with my insurance company. I don't think there will be any issues.

Do you guys think the gel coat will be able to be matched?

I swear my first response was "Was anybody hurt." She thought I was gonna be PISSED!! No way. Accidents happen. I was at work when it happened, and when I got back to the lake she had a nice cold Captain Morgan and Dr. Pepper waiting for me. She was more upset than I was. THAT was the funny part.

My deductable is $500. I called them the next day to let them know. It's at the dealer now being fixed. They deal with this kind of thing all the time and have worked a bunch with my insurance company. I don't think there will be any issues.

Do you guys think the gel coat will be able to be matched?

A good gel coat repair person should be able to match it flawlessly. Your boat isn't that old so as long as you took care of it and covered it it shouldn't have too much fade where they can't match it perfectly.

That's a beautiful boat. I'll bet your wife was bummed, I'm impressed she takes the boat out when you're at work! That's great, I'd love to leave work and meet the family at the river with the boat already in the water! I'm sure the fix will be great, crud happens.

That is exactly why my wife is scared to dock/trailer the boat... I tell her its a boat in can be fixed... She's afraid shell wreck it or scratch it and I'll hold it over her head forever! Whistling.gif (actually, I would not!)

Sorry bout the boat! It'll be fixed like new before you know it!

P

WHAT?!?

I once parked our car in the garage. My Wife backed it out the next day and came to close the side of the garage and ripped the passenger side rear view mirror off. She BLAMED me because I "did not park the car in the garage correctly..."

Edited by areamike

Bummer.

I had a buddy who busted his older PS190 up a bit worse than yours. They had it repaired & the boat ended up weighing a bit more on that side than the other. He ended up using lead to balance the boat out. Not really ideal in a boat designed to kick up the smallest of wakes. Just something to keep in mind when the repair is done.

Good luck with your repair.

WHAT?!?

I once parked our car in the garage. My Wife backed it out the next day and came to close the side of the garage and ripped the passenger side rear view mirror off. She BLAMED me because I "did not park the car in the garage correctly..."

I customized 2 snowmobiles once. A matching his & hers, red/black for her blue/black for me, custom paint on everything, custom seats to match, etc. Sharp sleds. First ride, 5 miles out my wife veers off the trail and hits a stump. Threw her off in somersaults off the sled. She was OK, bruised, broke her helmet. The sled was trashed. Tunnel bent, hood & suspension ruined, turned it into a parts machine. To this day it is still my fault. "Shouldn't have made it so fast...we should have taken a different route...I told you I didn't feel like riding..."

But, not as valuable as a boat. You'll be amazed what a good body shop can do. To us it's a disaster, to them it's routine stuff, they just start the steps and complete the repair. Step 1, 2, 3 etc. and it's done. You, as the owner, may be able to see it if you really look, but nobody else in the world will ever be able to tell. But I gotta think that was more than a little throttle bump, I've bounced off of a few piers pretty hard and never had damage like that!

I hear what you are saying, but just in case, I know a good marriage counselor. Yes, stuff happens, but this is your baby we are talking about.

Edited by Baddog

Take a look:

Fixable? How much?

ouch! Keep us updated on the fix and show us pictures when finished. I bet you'll never know it was there.

And stuff happens. I'm sure she was pretty upset though.

I hear what you are saying, but just in case, I know a good marriage counselor. Yes, stuff happens, but this is your baby we are talking about.

I'm not clear who/what the 'baby' is: the wife or the boat? :)

Take a look:

Fixable? How much?

Take a positive out of all of this. You have a big "credit " for when you bust something up.

WHAT?!?

Yes! That is exactly the way my wife would twist things around! My wife is a master at twisting things like this and it has been an ongoing joke between us for a long time. The time she backed over the garbage can, drug it out in middle of the street, and drove off.............my fault. Biggrin.gif

I'm not clear who/what the 'baby' is: the wife or the boat? :)

The boat, duh! Whistling.gif