Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CE label on VLX 2008

Alexis Mardapittas

Allright, 53 views to this question and nobody has spoken up?

I'll swallow my pride and ask, what is a CE label?

I'm guessing weight and/or number of persons on board. Isn't that still down by the captain's feet on an '09?

Edited by Ndawg12

The CE label is a sticker or label on the boat indicating that it conforms with EU specifications.

The interesting thing is that the CE label is self-declared. No testing required. Just don't get caught.

Anyways, I bet ya if you call Malibu customer service directly you'll get your answer pretty promptly.

The CE label is a sticker or label on the boat indicating that it conforms with EU specifications.

What are EU (European, I guess?) Specs? Exhaust emissions? Weight and passenger payload capacity? Won't sink if you saw it in half?

What are EU (European, I guess?) Specs? Exhaust emissions? Weight and passenger payload capacity? Won't sink if you saw it in half?

The letters CE means it meets European specs whatever they are...the manufacturer knows them. Yes additional information may also be on that tag such as weight and passenger payload.

Go ask your dealer for a CE certification.

On the plate inside the boat that states the max HP & the load capacity there is a CE sign imprinted but that is not enough to satisfy the authorities.

(Been there, done that...)

On the plate inside the boat that states the max HP & the load capacity there is a CE sign imprinted but that is not enough to satisfy the authorities.

There is no dealer here its the only Malibu in the country

You should ask Malibu's customer service, maybe they can help you out.

If your boat was equipped with the CE-Package from the factory they can issue a certification for your exact boat.

(The Model, building Date & HIN is part of that certification.)

Usually the CE-certification comes with the boat (otherwise it is illegal to import it to the EU).

Good Luck!

You should ask Malibu's customer service, maybe they can help you out.

If your boat was equipped with the CE-Package from the factory they can issue a certification for your exact boat.

(The Model, building Date & HIN is part of that certification.)

Usually the CE-certification comes with the boat (otherwise it is illegal to import it to the EU).

Good Luck!

Yes the boat has a CE package and is certified my only problem is I cant find where on the boat they stuck it.

Yes the boat has a CE package and is certified my only problem is I cant find where on the boat they stuck it.

Alexis,

I don't know where to find that plaquette on a Wakesetter.

Attached is the only pic I could find of my Response where you can see the plate.

(On the left side of that plate you can see - or at least imagine - the CE stuff imprinted.)

It states the CE logo, a CE certification number, some kind of "authentification symbol", and the letter "D" for the country that the CE was issued for (D = Deutschland = Germany).

As I wrote above, the officials over here never ever looked for that plaquette inside the boat.

The CE certificate though was (and is) needed for the registration process of the boat.

Without a CE certificate there is no way to get a boat registered over here.

(Even after a resale or if you buy used!)

HTH!

David

CE-Plaquette.jpg

Edited by Chaabo

Alexis,

I don't know where to find that plaquette on a Wakesetter.

Attached is the only pic I could find of my Response where you can see the plate.

(On the left side of that plate you can see - or at least imagine - the CE stuff imprinted.)

It states the CE logo, a CE certification number, some kind of "authentification symbol", and the letter "D" for the country that the CE was issued for (D = Deutschland = Germany).

As I wrote above, the officials over here never ever looked for that plaquette inside the boat.

The CE certificate though was (and is) needed for the registration process of the boat.

Without a CE certificate there is no way to get a boat registered over here.

(Even after a resale or if you buy used!)

HTH!

David

CE-Plaquette.jpg

Thank you so much for your help. Now that I know what it looks like I may be able to find mine, it would be interesting to know which EU country they have used on mine. The authorities need to see it here so they can give me the permit to use it. I have been using it for almost two years and had no idea there where such requirements lol

Thanks again. :)

Alexis

Hello,

this post need a little adjustment form my part. Every boat build for Europe must complain with the CE norms (directive 94/25 CE amended by directive 2003/44 CE). Those norms are based on ISO norms. So when you buy a boat for Europe, you pay an extra CE package to complain the CE norm (particular for buoyancy, floating, exhaust emission, noise emission, light and .....) Here is a link for the directive.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUri...20031120:en:PDF

Now to register the boat, it must be certified, have the famous sticker and a declaration of conformity from both the boat and engine manufacturer. I have personally open (unwrap) my last two boats, and the CE sticker is inside the boat but not attached. It's the dealer that fix it on the boat with screws. they usually fix in the driver's area but you must ask the dealer that sell you the boat or contact bo lassen at http://www.wwnautic.com/ as this is the company that is in charge to sell malibu outside the USA.

The D is not for Deutschland, but it's the category of water that the boat can be used on (in this case small closed lake with wake not bigger than 50 cm). There a 4 categories, the A for open Ocean.

For the ballast under the floor, yes malibu put them above the floor for CE reason, but other manufacturer complain CE norms with ballast under (mastercraft for example). This is my great inconvenient with my bu, i have the ballast on the floor as they take half of the rear compartment. I have ask twice malibu but they strictly says no, it the CE norms!

I hope this post helps clarify a little about bout in Europe and please don't think about a "doctor post" i am just trying to help.

PS: i work for the boat registration office in my state.

You can buy a 'used' US version and import it yourself.

Then you can find a company which 'after' CE certificate the boat over here in Europe and it is done WITH under floor ballast and no further problems and a popper CE certification.

However the boat may float nice with or without this CE money making machine.

And while MALIBU is so inflexible not deliver underfloor ballast with CE the straight way - I may consider a Mastercraft next time.

Thank you !

VLX2008,

Thanks for the clarification!

That indeed is very interesting...

...The D is not for Deutschland, but it's the category of water that the boat can be used on (in this case small closed lake with wake not bigger than 50 cm). There a 4 categories, the A for open Ocean.

We used all our D-ratetd boats on open rivers with commercial traffic.

If a big carrier runs by it is not unusual that they throw wakes of about 1 meter and more...

Edited by Chaabo

Then you can find a company which 'after' CE certificate the boat over here in Europe and it is done WITH under floor ballast and no further problems and a popper CE certification.

However the boat may float nice with or without this CE money making machine.

And while MALIBU is so inflexible not deliver underfloor ballast with CE the straight way - I may consider a Mastercraft next time.

Thank you !

That's right, it's named a post construction assessment. however sometime you need to fix/change/adjust some parts on the boat to complain with the PCA. What you need to know is in that case, a PCA, the notified body (the company that certify the boat, for example www.imci.org) must put a new HIN (CIN) number and this has as effect that the buider is no more responsible for the boat. Still in a case of PCA, it's you, the owner that establish the declaration of conformity (based on the test performed buy the notified body) and you are responsible for the boat!!. I also think that in this case the warranty will not work because the boat has been built for another market.

the CE directive cares about noise emission, and when you order a boat to europe, malibu put the STE exhaust to quiet the boat. This is important to check when buying a boat in the US. about the engine, the monson is now ok for europe.

i have many customer that are asking question those days, every body want to import a boat as the dollar is very low for us. but it's not so easy and i personally don't recommend it. Our dealer have good deal too, and warranty and .....