Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Various Gauge problems

MadDogMike

I've had various intermittent gauge & random electrical problems on my '04 VLX through the season. Here's the latest:

1.) When hitting rollers (like driving a double-up or rollers from another boat), all the gauges lose power for a split second. Everything beeps, PerfectPass accelerates like crazy for a few seconds until everything comes back to life and settles back down. (I think even the stereo loses power, but it could have just been the CD skipping coincidentally with the bump from the rollers.)

This may or may not be related to the other troubles I've had:

2.) I've had the infamous Oil Pressure beeping problem. I pulled, cleaned & reset the canon plug, along with spreading out the pins as described elsewhere on this forum. This seemed to fix the problem for a couple of days but then the beeping returned.

3.) One time everything went dead when I tried to crank the boat. I had been running the blower for a few minutes, but when I went to crank everything died. Even the blower and all other electrical items that are normally powered all the time. I checked the throttle in neutral, kill switch, and battery connections. All appeared normal. After a minute or so everything came back to life seemly on it's own (I may have cycled the key a few times), the boat started and ran fine the rest of the day.

So, do we think all these problems are related, and if so, what do we think the problem is? I re-checked the canon plug on the engine and the connections at the MMDC, but it all seems normal. If there's a lose connection somewhere, it's somewhere that I can't see. I'm hoping I don't need to replace the MMDC ($$$) but that seems like the only common thread.

Thoughts?

thanks,

Mike

Seems like lots of things going on there. I'd check your grounds & wires - both at the battery & at the ground bar under the dash, the ignition switch & power distribution block/fuses.

Could also be the power/ignition/ground connections going to the MDC. Another user here had a blown fuse on the ignition wire to the MDC.

Everything going dead indicates the battery connection - I've had some intermittent problems with the battery connections when a nut came loose on one of the lugs. It would run fine until something moved the connection just a bit - typically putting something into & out of the storage behind the passenger seat.

The beeping indicates that the gauges are initializing.

PP Accelerating could be the servo recycling/rolling in the throttle before it recognizes that it's already moving & re-engage.

If the stereo is loosing power, I'd start with your ground bar under the dash for the current problem.

Good luck - gremlins like that can be pretty tough to find.

The issues under problem 1) "when hitting rollers..." could be a "hair trigger" safety lanyard switch. Verify the switch to be clean and put a shim (match stick or similar) between the switch button and the lanyard clip.

The other issues, follow Wienrdog's advice and look for loose connections/bad grounds.

Thanks, I'll check out the ground connections next. Sure are a lot of dogs on the forum! (MadDog, BadDog, wienrdog)

Gooddog, Ndawg the list goes on and on. Just seems to sound more manly than, say, Badkitty.

Thanks, I'll check out the ground connections next. Sure are a lot of dogs on the forum! (MadDog, BadDog, wienrdog)

Gooddog, Ndawg the list goes on and on. Just seems to sound more manly than, say, Badkitty.

Yeah, BadDog sounds manly, but what's up with that avatar? ;)

Yeah, BadDog sounds manly, but what's up with that avatar? ;)

Shania Twain. Total Babe. Awesome singer. Genuinely nice person. Wears underwear at all public places. And she's a total babe!

You got a problem with that buddy?

For perfect pass to do that, it has lost power.

This can either be a problem with the ground or positive wires.

For example, lose connections on the battery, bad wires, not blown but damaged fuse, lose wires, bad crimp, bad connection. It isn't hard to run a new temporary ground to see if that fixes it. If that doesn't then it has to be the positive feed.