Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drain block

I own a 1998 sunsetter vlx hammerhead 365. How do I drain all the water from the motor. How and what else do I need to drain? Do I have to fill the system with anti-freeze? The boat has as shower and a heater. I live at lake tahoe and it is getting down to 32 every night.

Click here for lots of info to sift through.

PM or email me your email address and I will send you a pdf file that goes through the process.

Edited by VinRLX

Lot's of good info about winterizing on this site.

In short, I always drain the block and put a little (Pink) RV anti freeze back into the engine. Never use the green stuff for cars. Don't forget to do the same if you have a heater, ballast tanks and shower. They need drained and a little anti freeze as well.

Some people skip the anti freeze and say they never have a problem, but for an extra couple of bucks, why not be extra safe.

Check the owners manual for all the drain plugs to remove on your particular motor. They are all different. I also remove my hoses to make sure no water is hiding in them. It's also a good time to check the trans cooler filter. It usually has stuff caught against the screen.

Lot's of good info about winterizing on this site.

In short, I always drain the block and put a little (Pink) RV anti freeze back into the engine. Never use the green stuff for cars. Don't forget to do the same if you have a heater, ballast tanks and shower. They need drained and a little anti freeze as well.

Some people skip the anti freeze and say they never have a problem, but for an extra couple of bucks, why not be extra safe.

Check the owners manual for all the drain plugs to remove on your particular motor. They are all different. I also remove my hoses to make sure no water is hiding in them. It's also a good time to check the trans cooler filter. It usually has stuff caught against the screen.

Thanks for the reply. I just went to the indmar web site and printed a copy of the engine owners manual. It looks like it has most of the information that I need. Good tip on the trans cooler filter.

In the spring, when you get ready to reattach the raw water hose to the transmission cooler, be careful that you don't over tighten the clamp and crush the inlet on the trans cooler. It's pretty easy to do.

Daniel