Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Clogged water filter

WakingMeHappy

For starters I winterized the Bu a couple of days ago myself for the first time. Saved $140 for not paying a shop to do it. Yahoo.gif It really was very easy to do so it was a good day. Thanks to the BuCrew for all the info. Thumbup.gif

None of the threads I read said anything about looking at the water intake filter located just after the impeller. For whatever reason I took it off and couldn’t believe what came out (see pic). The boat has been running right at 160 degrees so it wasn’t enough to restrict water flow too much but I was still surprised. What you’re looking at is grass and impeller pieces.

post-2825-1256063545_thumb.jpg

I guess you didn't read the winterization doc. I was handing out.

It does state to remove the hose and look up there. I just winterized my boat two weeks ago and actually bothered to remove the hose and look in there and I found some grass. I hadn't looked in there in a few years.

I guess I'll keep that info. in the new doc. I write.

My dealer was supposed to winterize my boat when I bought it back in November of '08. Well if they did, they skipped this step. I pulled at least 1 old impeller out of the trans cooler!! It was also still running at the correct temp, crazy how much stuff can be in there with no obvious signs.

I lost a impeller one year and found parts for two year after. I did clean the screen at impeller change and again at the end of the year. Never lost another another and still found parts the second year after well doing winterizing.

None of the threads I read said anything about looking at the water intake filter located just after the impeller. For whatever reason I took it off and couldn't believe what came out (see pic). The boat has been running right at 160 degrees so it wasn't enough to restrict water flow too much but I was still surprised. What you're looking at is grass and impeller pieces.

water intake filter vs trans. cooler

perhaps it's a nomenclature issue?

None of the threads I read said anything about looking at the water intake filter located just after the impeller. For whatever reason I took it off and couldn't believe what came out (see pic). The boat has been running right at 160 degrees so it wasn't enough to restrict water flow too much but I was still surprised. What you're looking at is grass and impeller pieces.

That would be a "duh yes". :blush:

None of the threads I read said anything about looking at the water intake filter located just after the impeller.

:unsure: You think? :Doh:

:lol:

That's not a "water intake filter"...it's a transmission fluid heat exchanger (tranny cooler). Crazy.gif

EDIT: Apparently I type too slow. :lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu

The key to getting all the debris out of the trans cooler, is to disconnect the hose from between the pump and the cooler, at both ends, and flush it out. Removing the hose from the cooler only, allows debris (that was up against the cooler while water was flowing and dropped down into the hose when the engine was shut down) to remain in the system, thus the appearance of "more impeller parts showing up, after the cooler had already been cleaned"