Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Detailed instructions for Winterization

malcontent

Are there detailed instructions for winterizing a 2006 VLX (340HP Monsoon) on this site (or elsewhere)? Thanks.

You could try following the instructions in the indmar manual you got with the boat (section 7, storage and winter lay up), although it won't cover winterizing your ballast system or heater or shower.

the indmar manual for your boat can be found here as well:

Indmar Manual 2003-Present

I just completed my first Malibu winterization. (My last boat was a 4 cyl I/O and was very simple to do.)

With the Indmar directions and the how to guide from here, it was a pretty straightforward job.

I have a Vdrive, so there were a few adjustments from the how to guide due to orientation.

The boat came with the hose extension for oil draining, and i have an open thru-hull fitting close, so that was pretty easy.

Even removing the impeller wasn't too bad.

A few things to add -

I have a heater, so I removed those lines and blew thru the top line to get the excess water out. My dealer also suggested pouring a little RV antifreeze in, so i will do that tomorrow.

I also have the water cooled shaft seal, which means there is a feed line that pushes water thru this seal from the inside.

That line comes in from near the impeller and needs to be disconnected and drained as well. Mine is a clear tubing so it was easy to see that it had water.

Thanks to the crew and the unknown author of the how to for lots of great advice.

I also have the water cooled shaft seal, which means there is a feed line that pushes water thru this seal from the inside.

That line comes in from near the impeller and needs to be disconnected and drained as well. Mine is a clear tubing so it was easy to see that it had water.

Thanks for that info. I'll add it to the new version I do later.

Is disconnecting this tube just a barb fitting on the shaft log end?

I disconnected it at a fitting just below the transmission cooler. There is a stub there with a small fitting.

The tube was zip-tied. It was easier to get to than trying to get down to the seal.

I disconnected it at a fitting just below the transmission cooler. There is a stub there with a small fitting.

The tube was zip-tied. It was easier to get to than trying to get down to the seal.

it is not actually necessary to take that clear hose off to drain it. It can be lifted and maneuvered to get the water to drain out the water cooled shaft seal.

This has been discussed on these winterizaation threads a fair amount but wanted to reiterate: I was trying to pull my impellor this morning and was using the needle nose channel lock (2) methond with no real movement. tried bumping the motor briefly with no movement. THEN squirted just a little bit of boot lube in there, bumped briefly and the thing practically jumped out at me. The juice also makes re-installation very easy.

it is not actually necessary to take that clear hose off to drain it. It can be lifted and maneuvered to get the water to drain out the water cooled shaft seal.

Mine is tied in to larger clamp / brackets in three places along the side of the block so if forms a few "s's" along the path. I could not maneuver it enough to get all of the water out and the disconnect was pretty easy.

THEN squirted just a little bit of boot lube in there, bumped briefly and the thing practically jumped out at me.

That golden nugget is gonna be in my article. (that's what I've been doing for years)

The zip tie has been known to fail over time and that small tube will fill the boat with water over time. Remove the zip tie and replace it with a small hose clamp.

The zip tie has been known to fail over time and that small tube will fill the boat with water over time. Remove the zip tie and replace it with a small hose clamp.

Thanks for that - good idea.

I also forgot one other thing. I have the paddle wheel speed pick-up. I pulled it out and rinsed it out and put it into a ziplock bag to keep it clean and bug / spider free.

I have the dummy plug so i put it into the hull fitting to fill the hole.

EDIT - and another on other thing - more of a boat thing than motor thing.

I released the tension on my winch, bow strap and transom straps.

No reason to be pulling on the fittings all winter.

Edited by Soon2BV
  • 3 weeks later...

Are there detailed instructions for winterizing a 2006 VLX (340HP Monsoon) on this site (or elsewhere)? Thanks.

I have a Wakesetter 2004 w/380 Hammerhead. Found only two drain plugs while winterizing, the manual doesn't show positioning. It mentions in the maunaul that there are 4 plugs. I'm confused. Does anyone know? Thanks