Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

pro 80s on Illusion tower

Johnny06vlx

I have pro 80s mounted in the stock holes on the illusion tower of my vlx. They point slightly down when boat is on plain and blast everyone behind the driver. I was thinking if I move them to the bar on a swivel mount and tilt them up a little if it would help? Anyone have the same problem?

I have pro 80s mounted in the stock holes on the illusion tower of my vlx. They point slightly down when boat is on plain and blast everyone behind the driver. I was thinking if I move them to the bar on a swivel mount and tilt them up a little if it would help? Anyone have the same problem?

Not sure why they are pointing slightly down only on plain, they should be the same no matter how the boat is sitting. (as far as how they are pointing at the passengers)

Do you have them on the lower holes or upper holes. I have mine on the upper holes but i also have MB-8s on my cross bar. If you wanted to move them to the cross bar you could point them higher if you wanted, but it is not that much higher and will not make to much of a difference for the people sitting in the line of fire.

Edited by txwakejunkie

Any speaker you put on an illusion tower is going to blast the passengers. The only thing you can do is mount the speakers on top of tow cross bar to get some sound out of the cabin.

Not sure why they are pointing slightly down only on plain, they should be the same no matter how the boat is sitting. (as far as how they are pointing at the passengers)

Do you have them on the lower holes or upper holes. I have mine on the upper holes but i also have MB-8s on my cross bar. If you wanted to move them to the cross bar you could point them higher if you wanted, but it is not that much higher and will not make to much of a difference for the people sitting in the line of fire.

thanks for your reply. They are on the upper mounts and point straight out the back of the boat. But at wakeboard speed they are pointed down in relavence to the rider. I just thought pointing them up would be a little less lout for the passengers and maybe a little more loud for the rider. Aside from handing out ear plugs I never get to crank those bad boys to their potential.

thanks for your reply. They are on the upper mounts and point straight out the back of the boat. But at wakeboard speed they are pointed down in relavence to the rider. I just thought pointing them up would be a little less lout for the passengers and maybe a little more loud for the rider. Aside from handing out ear plugs I never get to crank those bad boys to their potential.

yeah, you can't crank them when people are in the boat behind the 80's. Have you looked at shimming the speakers at the mounting point to change the angle?

yeah, you can't crank them when people are in the boat behind the 80's. Have you looked at shimming the speakers at the mounting point to change the angle?

Cervelo, do you know whether there are any examples of people shimming illusion tower speakers to compensate for bow rise? Would love to see pics of how it's done...

Any speaker you put on an illusion tower is going to blast the passengers. The only thing you can do is mount the speakers on top of tow cross bar to get some sound out of the cabin.

The Illusion tower is the coolest looking tower, but it isn't the best for passenger's listening enjoyment. I have Titan Alpha II's hanging down from the towbar and they are too loud for people in the back seat. Never thought to flip them up on top of the tow bar. Bimini would be useless at that point though. My friends X-Star is so much more peaceful to ride in since the tower speakers are almost all the way to the rear seat. V-drive doesn't help with the Illusion because my other friend's VLX isn't a joy to ride in either.

Cervelo, do you know whether there are any examples of people shimming illusion tower speakers to compensate for bow rise? Would love to see pics of how it's done...

no, we just don't crank them when we have a boat full of people. it was just an idea that popped in, i don't know if it would work. i wonder if tim at wetsounds would have an idea.

no, we just don't crank them when we have a boat full of people. it was just an idea that popped in, i don't know if it would work. i wonder if tim at wetsounds would have an idea.

I thought of shimming them to. Or more so making a mounting plate with holes so they would point up. But would be a lot of work or money and might not make a diff. getting the swivel mounts for the top bar would simulate that and could try different angles to see if it helps. I guess there is only one way to find out.