Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moisture in gauges

Hey guys,

I had the original PP gauge on my boat die earlier this year due to moisture. I picked up a replacement on here from another owner, but I'm encountering the same issue with the new gauge. As opposed to the original gauge, the new one hasn't died due to the moisture...yet. So, I'm trying to figure out a way to keep that from happening again.

Right now, when I start the boat, the PP gauge beeps like it's starting properly. But I'm not getting anything on the display. Also, I can clearly see a thin layer of moisture on the inside of the display. After about 20-30 mins, the moisture clears out and the display returns. While the display is defunct, I try to minimize changing anything on the PP. Since the original one exhibited the similar behavior before it stopped responding to any button presses.

So far, the only thing I've thought of to try is getting some DampRid to hang near the gauge. Hoping that will suck up enough moisture to get the gauge dry.

My question is, has anyone else encountered this problem and what they've done to resolve it? FWIW, the PP gauge is the only one that seems to have this problem. The speedo and multi-function gauge seem OK. Maybe there's something I didn't seal when I replaced the original gauge?

Hey guys,

I had the original PP gauge on my boat die earlier this year due to moisture. I picked up a replacement on here from another owner, but I'm encountering the same issue with the new gauge. As opposed to the original gauge, the new one hasn't died due to the moisture...yet. So, I'm trying to figure out a way to keep that from happening again.

Right now, when I start the boat, the PP gauge beeps like it's starting properly. But I'm not getting anything on the display. Also, I can clearly see a thin layer of moisture on the inside of the display. After about 20-30 mins, the moisture clears out and the display returns. While the display is defunct, I try to minimize changing anything on the PP. Since the original one exhibited the similar behavior before it stopped responding to any button presses.

So far, the only thing I've thought of to try is getting some DampRid to hang near the gauge. Hoping that will suck up enough moisture to get the gauge dry.

My question is, has anyone else encountered this problem and what they've done to resolve it? FWIW, the PP gauge is the only one that seems to have this problem. The speedo and multi-function gauge seem OK. Maybe there's something I didn't seal when I replaced the original gauge?

I've know people who have drill holes to let the moisture out ... since the seal is already broken.

Hey guys,

I've know people who have drill holes to let the moisture out ... since the seal is already broken.

IIRC drilling the holes was for only the 5" servo gauges.

I have the same problem with my multi-line display as well. I spoke with Randy at Perfect Pass and he told me that it is caused by moisture on the circuit board. He suggested that I return it and have them re-seal the cicuit board. My cover is not vented, so there is a moisture build up under it which increases the problem. Hopefully that will help.

Gary

I have the same problem with my multi-line display as well. I spoke with Randy at Perfect Pass and he told me that it is caused by moisture on the circuit board. He suggested that I return it and have them re-seal the cicuit board. My cover is not vented, so there is a moisture build up under it which increases the problem. Hopefully that will help.

Gary

Hmm....this might the route I have to take. Looks like I'll get a couple more days of riding this year, then I'll pull the gauge.

• 1 month later...

Gary

Sorry to rehash an old topic, but I have this same exact issue on my gauge which has the Fuel, Oil pressure, Voltage etc. displays. Some days I have like a little fog in that gauge, Other days it i fine. My PP gauge does not show moisture, but the led display seems to go koo-koo on certain days and sort of "flip out" and display weird stuff.

Did you ever get yours fixed?

I've never seen a Perfect Pass gauge fog up (surprising in the Seattle area!)

Don't drill holes in the PP gauge, you can only do that with the Kysor Medallion (Malibu) gauges and you need to be really careful when doing it.

-Paul

areamike

I plan on removing the display over the winter and taking it to PP to have the circuit board re-sealed.

Thanks

Gary

Edited by Hydrogasm
  • 1 month later...

Update!!

I went in to Perfect Pass on Thursday with my old display. They took the face off it and re-sealed the cicuit board with silicon spray and put it back together. It only took about 5 minutes. They told me that because the gauge is not a sealed unit that it could re-occur. I decided to buy a new display with the larger LCD with a blackchrome bezel to match my other gauges. I installed it yesterday and it was worth the money. It looks much better and it alot easier to read. Thanks Gary.

Edited by Hydrogasm
  • 4 weeks later...

Update!!

I went in to Perfect Pass on Thursday with my old display. They took the face off it and re-sealed the cicuit board with silicon spray and put it back together. It only took about 5 minutes. They told me that because the gauge is not a sealed unit that it could re-occur. I decided to buy a new display with the larger LCD with a blackchrome bezel to match my other gauges. I installed it yesterday and it was worth the money. It looks much better and it alot easier to read. Thanks Gary.

Good to hear. I am planning on replacing my PP gauge this spring. How old you get the old one out? You have the same year boat as I do and I'm sure our dashes are similar. The current PP gauge I have is the one with the analog RPM gauge on the upper half.

I started to work on it before I put the boat in storage but got flustered and gave up. Mad.gif

• 5 months later...

Update!!

I'm having issues with my LCD slowly fading out (kysor-medallion), would you have a picture of the blackchrome bezel one as well as where you got it from - i would really like to see how it looks before i proceed with replacing with the same as I presently have.