Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Synthetic in the Transmission

I looked and was unable to find it in past discussions. Are people using synthetic oils in the transmission. I am looking to use Royal Purple for engine oil and now thinking of running it in the trans.

I looked and was unable to find it in past discussions. Are people using synthetic oils in the transmission. I am looking to use Royal Purple for engine oil and now thinking of running it in the trans.

Seems like this has talked about b4, it's causes the tranny to slip.

Edit, here you go:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....mp;hl=synthetic

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....l=Synthetic+ATF

Edited by MalibuNation

I'm throwing the BS flag on this one. Biggrin.gif Our 88' Skier has had Synthetic tranny fluid in it since the previous owner bought it 16 years ago and the tranny works great. No slipping due to the oil being too slippery. That sounds fishy to me. It makes sense that the Indmar manual instructs you to use dino oil during the 100 hour break in, thats not uncommon for engines either, but after break in I think as the Indmar manual says you would be fine to run a good quality synthetic. I run Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in ours.

Anyone heard a case where it was actually blamed for slippage?

The only time it has ever slipped it when the fluid was actually low due to the tranny seal being ripped out by the blower hose wire that the coupling chewed up and reeled in! :Doh:

Edited by martinarcher
I vote that the OP contact Malibu to get an official answer!

Plus1.gif The people want the truth! Thumbup.gif

The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing But The Truth

so help me.....Higher Power of your choosing. That's politically correct these days right? Dontknow.gif

Syn is gooood.. I run it in the trans - I don't have the offical answer though, but I can't see why it would do any damage, it more than covers the normal trans fluid specs

I'm doing some ongoing research of this subject myself. The Velvet Drive ratings and classification document on there website ( http://www.velvetdrive.com/ ) states to use Dexron IIE or III or any fluid which meets Detroit Diesel Allison C-4 spec. At the end on 2006 all licenses issued by GM for Dexron III expired. Warnings have been issued stating that any manufacturer selling products under the Dexron III specification may NOT meet all of the original requirements for that specification. GM is only issuing licenses for Dexron VI spec fluids and only supports its use now. I talked with a tech assist rep at Velvet Drive on the phone today. He said that use of Dex VI has not been proven yet in Velvet Drives but he did not warn against it. But he pretty much left me with the feeling that I'd be using it at my own risk. The local auto parts stores where I live sell Dex/Merc under a couple of names. Valvoline is one of them. It is not labeled as Dexron III but it does state that it is recommended for vehicles requiring Dexron III fluid. So it appears to be a little bit of a toss-up right now. I'm going to do some more checking and see what I come up with. But for the mean time I'm going to stick with a fluid from a reputable company that states it to be used for Dex III requirements.

I'm doing some ongoing research of this subject myself. The Velvet Drive ratings and classification document on there website ( http://www.velvetdrive.com/ ) states to use Dexron IIE or III or any fluid which meets Detroit Diesel Allison C-4 spec. At the end on 2006 all licenses issued by GM for Dexron III expired. Warnings have been issued stating that any manufacturer selling products under the Dexron III specification may NOT meet all of the original requirements for that specification. GM is only issuing licenses for Dexron VI spec fluids and only supports its use now. I talked with a tech assist rep at Velvet Drive on the phone today. He said that use of Dex VI has not been proven yet in Velvet Drives but he did not warn against it. But he pretty much left me with the feeling that I'd be using it at my own risk. The local auto parts stores where I live sell Dex/Merc under a couple of names. Valvoline is one of them. It is not labeled as Dexron III but it does state that it is recommended for vehicles requiring Dexron III fluid. So it appears to be a little bit of a toss-up right now. I'm going to do some more checking and see what I come up with. But for the mean time I'm going to stick with a fluid from a reputable company that states it to be used for Dex III requirements.

Mobile 1 ATF is approved for Allison C-4 applications, and wherever wherever DEXRON is specified... Thumbup.gif Pour & enjoy

Mobile 1 ATF is approved for Allison C-4 applications, and wherever wherever DEXRON is specified... Thumbup.gif Pour & enjoy

Sac are you using Mobil 1 ATF in your Wakesetter? If so for how long?

I have two family members boats that have been running synthetic. The 86 Ski Supreme (with the velvet drive),has had it in for 6 years. We have had that boat for 19 years now. Never experienced any slipping or ill effects. Can't say I noticed any difference at all for that matter. My Sunsetter I bought this year had Amsoil in the tranny before I put it in the water.

You want the truth!? You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!

-- Jack N.

You want the truth!? You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!

-- Jack N.

This whole thing is bothering me ... not you Baddog ... I'll try to get a hold of Malibu.

Maybe I should add to the Pet Peeves thread ... how I hate mis-information ... not sure what the mis-information is at this point and time.