Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Don't winterize you boat

If your boat sit's in a heated shop for the winter, how important is it to get it winterized? Besides stabilizing the fuel and routine maintance, what is the biggest drawback? Just curious.

How long do you lay it up for? You wouldn't have to worry about any of the "temp" related winterizing stuff just the "corrodes from non-use" type stuff. Like you mentioned...change the oil, stabilize the fuel, fog the cylinders, change the tranny fluid,...I like to do the trailer maint. stuff at the same that I do the oil change,...

We're in the Spokane area & rarely lose all our power, and even more rare do we lose it for very long. But I'd hate to roll the dice & lose on a $40k investment. Last winter was a bear. Who knows what we'll get this year.

Considering it takes like 3 minutes for me to drain everything, I just do it.

If your boat sit's in a heated shop for the winter, how important is it to get it winterized? Besides stabilizing the fuel and routine maintance, what is the biggest drawback? Just curious.

If the boat is going to be laid up for any lengthy period of time you should fog the engine. Outside of that I don't think there are too many bad things that can happen if the temp of the boat is always above 32F. It only takes a second to drain the block/hoses though.

We're in the Spokane area & rarely lose all our power, and even more rare do we lose it for very long. But I'd hate to roll the dice & lose on a $40k investment. Last winter was a bear. Who knows what we'll get this year.

Considering it takes like 3 minutes for me to drain everything, I just do it.

That would be my number one concern - loss of power. Then again I have a generator.

Mine sits just outside the laundry room door in an insulated garage and the snow always melts off the car but I do the full winterization too. You never know what can happen when you least expect it. I saw that picture of the guy that left his boat tied to a dock when the water was drawn down on the lake and I figure that he didn't ever think that could happen either! Crazy.gif

One thing that I always do is flush the river water out with fresh. I don't like to have all that junk sitting is the engine/hoses/mufflers etc. It only takes a minute or two to run fresh water through everything. Then drain if you want.