Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where do you drain your oil from??

Ok today was the oil change /winterize day. One thing that kinda stumped me was where to stick the oil drain hose to drain. I for the life of me could not see where to stick it , It was to short to run it through the back drain plug, and I could not find anywhere a drain plug in the Hull, So I used a garbage sac in the bottom of the bilge, anyone have a better way??

You need to go to Home Depot and make a long extension hose with the correct brass fittings that will fit the end of your oil drain hose. It will look like this when you're done.

post-29-1255921375_thumb.jpg

one of those inexpensive drill pumps, get the fittings from home depot to attach the "in" side of the pump to the hose from the oil pan, fire up the drill and fill up the container(s) of your choice. you can do it right on the water if you want, no fake a lake to hook-up, it works really well.

417Ab1EQ8JL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hi,

I have a 2005 Vride.....our boats might be different but maybe not.

I run the hose forward to the through hull for the perfect pass. On my boat I can access it by removing the rear, center cushion. I unscrew the the through hull and feed the hose in that way. Anyway you can at least check it out, and if it doesn't work you can build your extension hose.

I for the life of me could not see where to stick it , it was too short...
so why make the stock one so short, useless

Whistling.gif

Your "hose" is so short that it's useless? :unsure: Sounds like a personal problem. ROFL.gif

Biggrin.gif

Whistling.gif

Your "hose" is so short that it's useless? :unsure: Sounds like a personal problem. ROFL.gif

Biggrin.gif

And he's trying to blame Malibu, sheesh!! :)

VLX,

Your actual problem is that Malibu used up all the through hull holes for the ballast pumps in your boat.

The ballast pump that is behind your V-drive on the passenger side of the boat used to have a "T" handle plug in it that you could remove and send the oil drain hose outside the hull and under the boat.

So I used a garbage sac in the bottom of the bilge, anyone have a better way??

You could go with a fluid extractor pump, like the Moeller. Plug the extractor hose into the

hose from the oil pan, give it three or four pumps, and, in 10 minutes or less, you'll have

all of that oil sucked into the canister. With just a little practice, you won't even spill a drop.

Works well for me, anyway.

There you guys go thinkin again. Good ideas. I've pulled one of the ballast pumps to stick the hose thru..... it works but is a bit of a PITA.

You need to go to Home Depot and make a long extension hose with the correct brass fittings that will fit the end of your oil drain hose. It will look like this when you're done.

Pete, are you extending the stock hose or replacing it with a longer one?

one of those inexpensive drill pumps, get the fittings from home depot to attach the "in" side of the pump to the hose from the oil pan, fire up the drill and fill up the container(s) of your choice. you can do it right on the water if you want, no fake a lake to hook-up, it works really well.

Cervelo, this is a great idea. Please help me understand. You made a hose for this $10 pump that goes from to the stock drain hose into the IN on this pump, then another hose from the pump's OUT & into any pan or container for the old oil. So your able to change the oil from the top side? And your able to suck it out faster than it will drain?

Nice.

There you guys go thinkin again. Good ideas. I've pulled one of the ballast pumps to stick the hose thru..... it works but is a bit of a PITA.

Cervelo, this is a great idea. Please help me understand. You made a hose for this $10 pump that goes from to the stock drain hose into the IN on this pump, then another hose from the pump's OUT & into any pan or container for the old oil. So your able to change the oil from the top side? And your able to suck it out faster than it will drain?

Nice.

Yeah, what he said. I have a drill pump, but how would you connect it to the hose? The hose plug is threaded and my drill pump is barbed I think. Actually, it must be threaded with barbed fittings screwed on. A picture would be great as I'm not familiar enough with fittings like this.

Nice.

Yeah, what he said. I have a drill pump, but how would you connect it to the hose? The hose plug is threaded and my drill pump is barbed I think. Actually, it must be threaded with barbed fittings screwed on. A picture would be great as I'm not familiar enough with fittings like this.

I will try to get a picture up.

the pump should have hose thread. Get a hose thread to npt thread fitting from home depot and reduce that to the size of the fitting on the hose from the oil pan.

Tighten it onto the oil pan hose first then hand tighten the hose fitting onto the pump. done and done.

VLX,

Your actual problem is that Malibu used up all the through hull holes for the ballast pumps in your boat.

The ballast pump that is behind your V-drive on the passenger side of the boat used to have a "T" handle plug in it that you could remove and send the oil drain hose outside the hull and under the boat.

Thats what I thought, I change my buddys sanger v-drive and he has a T Handle plug always worked great that way, But I like the new ways everyone is sugesting, should go alot faster with a pump!!

here is a pic. it is 2 fittings. the hose fitting to 3/4 inch, then a 3/4 to 1/4 inch bushing.

done and done.

edit: didn't see Bills post. this fitting attaches directly to the hose from the oil pan and then to the "in" side of the pump. the pump actually comes with a fitting and hose for the drain side. It works fast and is clean. I use 4l (gallon) plastic milk jugs. It is done topside and can be done while the boat is in the water so no need to hook up fake lake to run engine.

4027143315_bb4dea69c3_b.jpg

Edited by Cervelo

Bill,

I use that hose just as an extension. I actually can thread the hose out the rear transom plug.

You need the fittings to adapt the end of the oil drain hose just to a barb fitting. Then, I suck it out with the pictured bad boy. Yes, this thing will pull the oil out waaaaay faster than just letting it drip.

post-29-1256005802_thumb.jpg

Whistling.gif

Biggrin.gif

And he's trying to blame Malibu, sheesh!! :)

Be careful or this might get moved to the Hot Topic forum. :unsure:

Hey All, this is my first post but have been reading all the informative posts for the last few weeks

I have just bought an 08 Sunscape 20LSV and changed the engine oil and tranny/v-drive oil on the weekend. I'm a Refrigeration Tech so i made up a container with 2 x 1/4 hose fitting on the top. One hose connects from container into the sump or oil hose connector and other connects from container to my refrigeration vacuum pump ( 240v Aussie powered ) .

Flick the switch and watch the container fill up via the air being sucked out of the container by the pump. Couldnt be easier.

I know no one probably has a refrig vac pump, but just wanted to share.

Cheers

Thats what i was thinking after the two hour drain in the bag.... so why make the stock one so short, useless

They probably made it for the DDs which have a nice handy hole right where that short hose will fit.

I just did my oil change for the first time this fall - using advice found on this site, of course - and it couldn't have been easier. Here is what I used:

Moeller Fluid Extractor

3/4" MHT x 1/4" FIPS Adapter

The pump comes with a hose that has a standard 3/4" female garden hose connector. Just connect the above adapter to the end and then screw this onto the end of the oil drain tube on your boat, and away you go! It took less than 5 minutes to completely drain the oil (warm oil, of course), and not a drop was spilled in the boat. I actually had the Moeller on the swim platform (the tube that it comes with is quite long).