Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bug Removal

martinarcher

Hey Crew. I spent all day with a couple guys form my crew waxing the boat. I was dreading cleaning the worst of the bugs from the season off the tower, racks, and tower speakers. My buddy at work has been raving about a new way he found to remove bugs from the front bumper of his car. He takes drier sheets, wets them and uses them to scrub the bugs off. I tried it on the Wetsounds, tower, and racks and it works like a champ! Your boat smells good too (a little girlie, but good)! Thumbup.gif The Wetsounds Pro-80's are black and are hard to keep clean - they look brand new now! Just thought I would share as I hate taking bug off - their guts turn to some sort of concrete after they dry! Mad.gif

Edited by martinarcher
Hey Crew. I spent all day with a couple guys form my crew waxing the boat. I was dreading cleaning the worst of the bugs from the season off the tower, racks, and tower speakers. My buddy at work has been raving about a new way he found to remove bugs from the front bumper of his car. He takes drier sheets, wets them and uses them to scrub the bugs off. I tried it on the Wetsounds, tower, and racks and it works like a champ! Your boat smells good too (a little girlie, but good)! Thumbup.gif The Wetsounds Pro-80's are black and are hard to keep clean - they look brand new now! Just thought I would share as I hate taking bug off - their guts turn to some sort of concrete after they dry! Mad.gif

I have bug residue on the front of my truck. For work I traveled through Louisianna during "lovebug" season (those that live their should know what I'm referring to). That was 1 1/2 years ago and I'm still trying to get the stuff off. Like MA said, it dries like some kind of concrete, or more like little splotches of clear super glue. Do you think the dryer sheet method will work for me??!!

I have bug residue on the front of my truck. For work I traveled through Louisianna during "lovebug" season (those that live their should know what I'm referring to). That was 1 1/2 years ago and I'm still trying to get the stuff off. Like MA said, it dries like some kind of concrete, or more like little splotches of clear super glue. Do you think the dryer sheet method will work for me??!!

I bet it would. I was pretty amazed as most of the bugs I got off were baked on there over most of the summer. Just get a few of them, wet them. They get soapy and work really well to rub the bugs off. Try it and let me know how it works. I bet it takes them off. Thumbup.gif

It's a pain getting the bug guts off so I bought a speaker cover, but before that I'd take a couple seconds and put Saran Wrap on them for the evening tow trips home through bug country. It's not to bad wiping them of the tower.

That's a good idea, but would take dedication. I can already hear my wife making fun of me for wrapping the tower to keep it clean! ROFL.gif

A lot of people do it or, spray down their tower with Pam.

That's a good idea, but would take dedication. I can already hear my wife making fun of me for wrapping the tower to keep it clean! ROFL.gif

A lot of people do it or, spray down their tower with Pam.

I'll have to give one or both of them a try because they really stick to stainless. I am impressed with the drier sheets though!

I thought the exact same thing. That's why I started on the bare stainless tower with them, but after they are wet they are pretty soft. They are kinda like a chamois when they are dry vs after you wet them down. I ended up cleaning the Wetsounds speaker pods which are glossy black plastic and they didn't leave any scratches at all, just took the bugs right off. Thumbup.gif