Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

cover mildew

My cover has some mildew on it. It was that when when I bought the boat. I assume from rolling it up wet. I have read on here that a lot of people machine wash their covers, which I may try. Does anyone know if this will get the mildew out, or do I need to do something else? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Just washed mine twice and it reduced the mildew but did not totally eliminate it. I would consul great caution on the use of bleach. The bleach can detroy the thread that was used on all the seams. Don't ask me why I know this.

BTW,

How is it you guys are getting mildew on the cover?

Storing it outside? Have a tarp completely covering the cloth cover with no air flow under the tarp?

BTW,

Storing it outside? Have a tarp completely covering the cloth cover with no air flow under the tarp?

Outside and on the water all summer. Hull gets dirty and the cover gets mildew, but it sure is nice to just drop by for a 20 minute ski and then go to work or home for dinner. You guys on a lake know of what I speak. Only wish they would let me put a lift in at the marina.

BTW,

I ski at a private lake and have a habit of just covering the boat up when it is wet. I guess that over time the underside of the cover has gotten a bit dirty from rolling it up and tossing it on the ground/dock/whatever and then the moisture from covering it wet....well, you get the point.

I just washed mine yesterday and as Baddog also said, it reduced the mildew but didn't get it out altogether. I used a Giant washer at a laundromat with a little bit of concentrated Woolite and a cup of bleach (as per the Glenraven website). I had to run it through two extra cycles without any soap in order to rinse the soap out.

BTW,

I ski at a private lake and have a habit of just covering the boat up when it is wet. I guess that over time the underside of the cover has gotten a bit dirty from rolling it up and tossing it on the ground/dock/whatever and then the moisture from covering it wet....well, you get the point.

I just washed mine yesterday and as Baddog also said, it reduced the mildew but didn't get it out altogether. I used a Giant washer at a laundromat with a little bit of concentrated Woolite and a cup of bleach (as per the Glenraven website). I had to run it through two extra cycles without any soap in order to rinse the soap out.

Did the bleach affect the seams?

I bought my boat used about three months ago. It had the cover mildew then. The guy kept the boat on an uncovered lift and was rolling the cover up wet on the dock when he went out. The cover is not very water tight so the inside of the boat gets wet during a good rain as well. Fortunately, no mildew inside the boat as far as I can tell. I want to get the cover good and clean so I can re-seal it with 303. Also, I will be garaging the boat quite a bit from here on out.

BTW,

Did the bleach affect the seams?

It doesn't seem to have affected them but maybe time will tell. Cover looks great by the way. I retreated with two light coats of 303 Fabric Guard as per the Glenraven instructions (although I wish that I had done this earlier in the year so that it would have been warmer out to help with the curing) and it seems to be good as new...