Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hello

gerhard lombard

Hello, I just bought a Malibu boat and would like to use this forum and your member's knowledge to find out what boat model, type and year it was manufactured. I will put up pictures as soon as available. It has a 125hp V4 Yamaha outboard motor. the nose (hull) comes out in a V, but then splits to a square on top. As far as I know, it can be a mid-eighties model. thank you. Greetings from South Africa.

Well, just looking at your post/description I'm guessing its probably not a malibu, but post some pictures up and let us see. Welcome to the crew!

P.S. Hows the water down there in South Africa?

That hull looks like mine but smaller. And that looks like my gas cap. Let us know what you find out about it.

Looks like ya'll scared him away. Maybe that was your gas cap. ROFL.gif

That hull looks like mine but smaller. And that looks like my gas cap. Let us know what you find out about it.

Looks like ya'll scared him away. Maybe that was your gas cap. ROFL.gif

And my pylon from my Larson 19'.

Sorry I did not answer yet. I am waiting for my LR Defender to get back from Jhb with it's new V8 engine. I can't launch with the Mercedes. Only took it to water once to test it before buying. Will add more pics etc. once I can get it launched. Luckily I got my boyancy certificate today from the previous owner.

Hi Gerhard, This may surprise you that I'm replying from this site, but I can tell you more about your boat. I've lived in the USA for 13 years now, but I grew up in S.A and was involved in boating and skiing from the early sixty's.

The original Malibu "1" was built in the mid to late sixties by a company called Boat Locker owned by Arnie Levy, that was located in Booysens in those years. They were also the Mercury importers into South Africa for many, many years. It was 14' 6" long and I don't remeber the beam, but they were mostly powered by 90 ~ 115 Mercury "sixes" back then. We owned one with a 100 Merc "6" which at the time was one of the most popular "family skiing" boats on the market in SA. With the 100 it would top out at about 42 MPH and the guys with the 115's could prop a little bit higher and get about 48 MPH out of them. The hull was a copy of an Australian made boat with the deck that was crafted by Boat Locker themselves. In the early 70's some guys were running them with 150 Merc's and a lot of them were raced in the open outboard class and they were very fast......... It was not a family boat with that much power hung on the back. The Malibu II was a development from the original and they widened and tapered the blunt front of the nose only. The original flat nose was only about 8 to 10 inches wide and on the "II" it became a lot wider as on your boat. Not much else was changed if I recall correctly. Hope this helps you a little with some of the history on your boat. From the pictures you posted it looks like you boat on the Vaal ~ Enjoy!

Robbie Ward

Hi Gerhard, This may surprise you that I'm replying from this site, but I can tell you more about your boat. I've lived in the USA for 13 years now, but I grew up in S.A and was involved in boating and skiing from the early sixty's.

The original Malibu "1" was built in the mid to late sixties by a company called Boat Locker owned by Arnie Levy, that was located in Booysens in those years. They were also the Mercury importers into South Africa for many, many years. It was 14' 6" long and I don't remeber the beam, but they were mostly powered by 90 ~ 115 Mercury "sixes" back then. We owned one with a 100 Merc "6" which at the time was one of the most popular "family skiing" boats on the market in SA. With the 100 it would top out at about 42 MPH and the guys with the 115's could prop a little bit higher and get about 48 MPH out of them. The hull was a copy of an Australian made boat with the deck that was crafted by Boat Locker themselves. In the early 70's some guys were running them with 150 Merc's and a lot of them were raced in the open outboard class and they were very fast......... It was not a family boat with that much power hung on the back. The Malibu II was a development from the original and they widened and tapered the blunt front of the nose only. The original flat nose was only about 8 to 10 inches wide and on the "II" it became a lot wider as on your boat. Not much else was changed if I recall correctly. Hope this helps you a little with some of the history on your boat. From the pictures you posted it looks like you boat on the Vaal ~ Enjoy!

Robbie Ward

I love The Malibu Crew! Thumbup.gif

Robbie Ward

I love The Malibu Crew! Thumbup.gif

Wow, now that is what I call nice info. Thanx a lot and also thanx for this forum! (pics taken at Grootdraaidam)