Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Modified Swim Platform For Surfing

Rincon

Have any of you modified your swim platform for surfing? My Wakesetter VLX puts out a great wave when we weight it down, but there is always a secondary lip in the wave. I see the swim platform digging into the water and it looks like that is causing this extra lip. By contrast, my friend's Enzo doesn't have that secondary lip, and coincidentally, the Enzo swim platform's edge never cuts into the water when we're surfing.

I'm thinking of taking my platform off and taking some wood and creating a smaller platform that I attach to the brackets...but would be interested to see if anyone out there has already tried this.

Thanks.

Almost all of us who weight are boats heavily have this secondary lip. I have tried surfing with out the plat form and it does go away. more importantly I have found that if you spread the weight down the length of the boat it will also go away. I think it is a matter of how far the platform digs in. I run a 750 On the seats and if we move it forward against the observers compartment the line disappears and the wave gets longer and firmer. play with your ballast some try sinking the whole boat and then laying it over. for example currently I run ALL factory ballast full wedge @ 8- 10 o`clock position, 750 in the rear locker, 400 under the seats, 750 on top the seats moved as far forward as you can get it and another 400across the bow against the seat backs at the windshield. the wave is long, firm and no lip! now add crew put every one on the surf side and the lip reappears. start with the light person and have them sit behind the driver. does the lip go away? swap people out behind the driver till it does. this method has been working for us all year and we have no complaints. and no second lip.

Edited by liljohn

If you go iver to wakeworld and look under the wakesurf discussion thread there is a very detailed write up of a platform modification. I believe it is also on Robert Garcia's website called WAKE9.COM. I will see if I can dig up that thread.

My surfing career has been short & not very glorious.......... but I modded an early 90s MC 205 some years ago, not the least of which was some ballast, to the point that the swimstep was always in the water. I never thought that was a good idea for teak so I added a couple of 2" thick risers between the brackets & the swimstep itself. Bought them from Tap Plastics in Bellevue, WA. for a few bucks. Was terribly easy & got the swimstep up high enough to keep it out of the lake most of the time.

Might be a good fix in this situation too.

My surfing career has been short & not very glorious.......... but I modded an early 90s MC 205 some years ago, not the least of which was some ballast, to the point that the swimstep was always in the water. I never thought that was a good idea for teak so I added a couple of 2" thick risers between the brackets & the swimstep itself. Bought them from Tap Plastics in Bellevue, WA. for a few bucks. Was terribly easy & got the swimstep up high enough to keep it out of the lake most of the time.

Might be a good fix in this situation too.

My surfing career has been short & not very glorious..........

Im sorry, I just love this intro.

You're in good company buddy.

Cheers